AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably been asked before but what are the major differences? I've been looking at the Toshiba RPTV's and the new 34HF81. If the majority of my viewing is sports and movies what would I look for? It's been a while since I shopped for a TV but now it's time for something bigger than my 27" sony. thank for any input.

·
Registered
904 Posts
In general:

RPTVs:

bigger

easier to move

less $$ per inch (40" RPTV cheaper than 38" CRT)

smoother image (continuous horizontal lines)

TVs:

brighter

better blacks

longer life (less burn-in)

little/no convergence issues

The most practical of differences is that CRT TVs only reach about 38" in size and are quite heavy, while RPTVs start around 40" and go to about 65".

jake

·
Registered
133 Posts
I second everything that jakehall states above. I have a Toshiba 34" widescreen in the family room and a 55" Mits widescreen in my home theater and I would only add that to me it would depend on the type of viewing you expect to do. The direct-view is nice and bright and viewable from anywhere in the room regardless of light. IMHO the RPTV looks better in the theater where seating is more controlled and viewing is mostly "head-on" and in somewhat softer light. The direct-view is an absolute bear to move. It is very heavy for it's size, nearly 200 lbs., and is quite "front heavy". It has to be on a very solid base because all of it's weight is on top. The RPTV is heavier, but it is on rollers and not as top-heavy. Much easier to move safely I feel. My 34" direct-view is too small for a home theater in my opinion, but is a great family room set.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Of course, if price is no option there is also the Plasma screens and DLPs. The plasmas are limited by size, currently, but you can get a truly outstanding picture (better than RPTV or direct-view) with a DLP that is as big as an RPTV. Of course, there is the $16-$20K price tag....

·
Registered
393 Posts
I also agree with Jake. And since Jake stated excellent points between a Direct View and RPTV set, I will answer your question. I think (depending on room size) you would want to go with a large RPTV for sports, and especially movies. I hope this helps.

HDCblGuy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.