AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen alot of rptv and direct view sets.It seems to me that always the rptv is fuzzy and blurry.The direct view has a crisper picture. Its not even close.Can a calibrated rptv equal a direct view in picture quality?Does this also apply to HD sets?Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I want to hear opinions on this too. I'd like to get a "big picture", but it's got to be clear too. I've been comparing the 36" direct-view Sony 36XBR400/450 with the 53" RP Sony 53HS10. All of the places I've seen the RP version it seems like I have to move my viewing distance back to eliminate that "fuzzy feeling" further from the 53" set than I do for the 36" set - to the point that the 53" screen has about the same apparent size as the 36" set did. What's the point of buying the bigger set if I have to do that?

The only material I've seen on these sets so far is DVD (HDTV is scarce here in Canada), and I realize that the inherent resolution of DVD may very well be the limiting factor here. But without actually seeing that it's capable of something better, I'm reluctant to shell out any money...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The better RPTVs have incredibly crisp pictures that are just as good as the direct view sets. But they also magnify any imperfections in the source material, so bad source will look worse. Good source material (HDTV, DVD and even good quality SDTV) will look great, and IMHO has a more film-like appearance. The main area where the direct view sets have an advantage is in very brightly lit rooms.

>>It seems to me that always the rptv is fuzzy and blurry. The direct view has a crisper

>>picture. Its not even close.Can a calibrated rptv equal a direct view in picture

>>quality?Does this also apply to HD sets?

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
You should make you comparisons with high quality (ie anamorphic) DVD's.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Actually high quality HD RPTVs are FAR superior to direct view sets. A high quality consumer direct view set will generally have no more than 800-900 lines of horizontal resolution as opposed to the HD RPTV that can have up to 1900 lines of horizontal resolution. A properly calibrated HD RPTV will have far more detail than a direct view, but you will have to sit further from the set. Still, the apparent size of the larger screen is still far greater at a typical viewing distance than the apparent size of a direct view at its typical viewing distance.

However, if your talking about the picture quality of a 30" broadcast quality direct view HD monitor (priced at $30,000+), well that's a different story.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have one clear wide screen in my RCA F38310,I agree it's has to do with source of material. "Vertical Limit" in a wide screen DVD in a 2:35:1 was a very beautiful no scanning lines seen movie. It was like looking out an open window.

When you get material like that it will make a differance, in an older mountain movie like "The Eiger Sanction" with a much younger Clint Eastwood it's not as great. But it's a lot better than the 'rptv' I used to own!

I am quite happy with my $3K purchase of a fully integrated built in high def with 'no' set box needed! I have bettercables hooking both the Component and S-Video, from 2 video sources besides webtv in full not fill screen format.

------------------

Gary Seven

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.