AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's my situation. I currently own a 65" Toshiba RPTV (TW65x81), that's been calibrated enough to be pretty close to ISF specs. In other words, the picture quality is great. However, I've recently been lurking in the Digital Projectors Forum and am now curious about switching over to DLP or LCD... I'd like a "Bigger Picture".

My "Media" room is roughly 10'W x 19'L x 9'H. I currently sit about 14' from the screen.

Assuming a 15k budget, would I be able to buy let's say a 100" Firehawk(or Greyhawk) along with a high-end DLP or LCD and get a picture that's superior to my RPTV? I've read about the problems associated with both technologies (rainbows, screen door, etc), but I've also heard that some of the newer, more expensive units have overcome most, if not all, of the earlier problems.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kenfab
would I be able to buy let's say a 100" Firehawk(or Greyhawk) along with a high-end DLP or LCD and get a picture that's superior to my RPTV?
no, you can get close but definitelly not better.

That said I would not even consider your RPTv over my entry level AE100, you should try to demo any of the pjs in this list http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=137971 that you can find in your area.

kev

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I recently bought a Marantz DLP and Firehawk. I wanted a bigger image than my 32" Sony XBR and the new DLPs were the first projectors in the $10k price range I thought I could live with. IMO before this year the only pjs I felt were adequate were the JVC D-ILAs that required an external scaler and prof calibration to be satisfactory.

HOWEVER, if I already haad a good 65" RPTV as you have I think I'd be inclined to wait maybe another year. Two things are happening in the market that will make the next generation much better if you can wait.

First the next iteration of the DLP II device from TI promises to have even better contrast while being cheaper. Several really high volume business projector manufacturers are rumoured to be jumping into the fray with DLP II models that just could take the price levels down substantially for even better projectors than today.

Second the whole digital rights protection mess is still not signed, sealed and delivered. Just when everyone said that DVI/HDCP was in fact a done deal we hear of the new similar but different HDMI/HDCP "standard" endorsed by all of TWO studios. To me that means that the other studios still have unresolved issues.

I should add though, that with my 720P Marantz I still think the image from a 480 DVD is awfully close to what I get from my 1080i HDTV feed from DirecTV. Not quite as good but good enough that I'm not at all afraid of HDTV being downrezzed. In a few years if they follow through with that threat I'll pprobably buy a new 1080 pj anyway.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Kevin, I'm not sure I understand your response...

"no, you can get close but definitelly not better.

That said I would not even consider your RPTv over my entry level AE100..."

Are you saying my 7" CRTs on the TW65X81 display a superior picture over say, a Seleco HT300? Please elaborate.

After reviewing several responses concerning the upcoming DLP-2 units, now I'm seriously considering ordering an AE100 now, and getting a DLP-2 unit in six months or so. Would the AE100 provide at least as good picture quality as my RPTV?

Incidentally, I usually only watch during the evening so ambient lighting is not a factor. Also, I view OTA HD from LA, DVD, and Dish NTSC/HD.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kenfab
Are you saying my 7" CRTs on the TW65X81 display a superior picture over say, a Seleco HT300? Please elaborate.
I have not seen the seleco which is by all accounts a terrific projector so I cannot elaborate. It is a fact that for the moment digital projectors at any price cannot produce blacks like you will find in your CRT based tv. Do not expect any digital pj to give you a better quality picture than a calibrated rptv. It is very hard for them to get in the ballpark.

Quote:

Would the AE100 provide at least as good picture quality as my RPTV?
The AE100 is a 856x480 entry level projector, as much as I like this projector it is nowhere near the picture quality of your rptv. Even if you sit far enough away from it to stop seeing screendoor it is not going to compete. Think of the AE as a step up from an analog TV with a really large screen.

I own a 32" sony wega hdtv, I did not buy the AE to get a better quality picture but to watch a 140" movie. I am looking forward to the day when I can get the resolution of my sony on my screen but that is not in the horizon.

Hope this helps

kev

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinsmith

I have not seen the seleco which is by all accounts a terrific projector so I cannot elaborate. It is a fact that for the moment digital projectors at any price cannot produce blacks like you will find in your CRT based tv. Do not expect any digital pj to give you a better quality picture than a calibrated rptv. It is very hard for them to get in the ballpark.

The AE100 is a 856x480 entry level projector, as much as I like this projector it is nowhere near the picture quality of your rptv. Even if you sit far enough away from it to stop seeing screendoor it is not going to compete. Think of the AE as a step up from an analog TV with a really large screen.

I own a 32" sony wega hdtv, I did not buy the AE to get a better quality picture but to watch a 140" movie. I am looking forward to the day when I can get the resolution of my sony on my screen but that is not in the horizon.

Hope this helps

kev
man i'm thinking about "upgrading" my 46" mits ISF-calibrated RPTV to the AE100, but your comments are concerning me. I have seen some very impressive shots from the AE100 that come very close to my setup(for DVDs). as far as HD goes, the AE100 looks good, but the detail just isn't as great as my mits. i think the large screen is a good tradeoff though. i think a few people will take offense to your comparison of the AE100 and an analog set. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just received the confirmation of payment for the AE100. ;)

I figure, I'll give it a try... if it's not a worthy successor to my TW65X81, I'll bring it up into the Master Bedroom.

Regardless, it should at least provide a nice interim projector solution while I patiently await the arrival of the HD-2 DLPs. :)

Ken

·
Registered
142 Posts
kenfab,

I think you are going to be a very happy camper when you get your AE :) congratulations and be sure to post in a couple of days.

ADebar, I am sorry, not trying to concern. Just wanted to make sure that kenfab(new user) understood what he is buying, the comment " at least as good picture quality as my RPTV?" worried me considering he has an isf calibrated hdtv ready set.

In my case I would definitelly still choose the AE, the benefits of the increased sice far outweight the pq difference (better blacks and more detail), ymmv.

kev

·
Registered
935 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I'm a little late but I'm the very happy owner of a Sony 57" XBR 10W and a Sharp 9000J. I'm using an interlaced Panny A310 thru an ISCAN Pro for the sony and a Panny RP91 for the Sharp. I would rate the picture quality comparable. But if you throw in size and impact, the Sharp has the Sony beat hands down.

Bomber

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.