AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've seen on the market, there are only a hand full of RPTV with IEEE and DVI. I'm looking at a RPTV around $2500 that is around 52/57 inches and has both DVI and IEEE. I am also curious if there are any RPTV with multiple DVI inputs (one for a PC and the other for a DirecTV).

There are several DirecTV receivers with DVI output, but I haven't seen anything with IEEE? Comments on the DVI v. IEEE issue would be interesting.

I am also thinking about going to a RPTV with just DVI (no IEEE) since there are more out there. Can someone tell me the future of IEEE?

·
Registered
772 Posts
IEEE 1394 (Firewire) is used for transporting and archiving the still compressed MPEG2 transport stream. Most of the sets that provide a Firewire connection have built in tuners (full blown HDTV, not 'monitor' or 'ready') since the connection is most useful when it has content to be saved. I think only a couple of Sonys have Firewire that are input only. Firewire output is THE ONLY recordable connection.

Only the newest Pioneers have two DVI inputs.

NO current HDTV DirecTV receivers permit recording.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I uderstand you correctly, when speaking of IEEE Firewire on RPTV, this is actually an output. THis makes sense, since IEEE on RPTV's are available when the RPTV has an embedded HDTV tuner. Okay, then I don't really need IEEE unless I plan on recording content. Even if I did record it, it would be from a STB, like the new Samsung.

Hitachi, RCA (scenium), and Sony have Firwire and DVI

·
Registered
422 Posts
Firewire itself is a network. The manufacturer of the TV, etc, decides whether they will put anything onto the network, or look for anything on the network. Sony TVs don't put the OTA stream they receive on the network, period. They only look for a stream from a camcorder or the original Sony DirecTV HD receiver. They might also link up with a D-VHS deck, but I don't think those decks put their data on Firewire either.

Mits and Hit TVs do put their OTA stream on Firewire. Some OTA-only receivers like the Samsung T-165 also put a stream on Firewire. The older Sony DirecTV HD receiver puts a DirecTV stream on Firewire.

In an ideal Firewire world, all devices that deal with MPEG2 data would stream it over the network and receive it if they record or display it. Then you could have TVs sharing DVD players, D-VHS decks, Satellite STBs and PVRs throughout your home with just one network wire strung between them. As it is, there are few sources that put streams on Firewire -- no DVD, no tape, no PVR. So for now it is mostly used as a means to record from higher end Hit/Mits TVs or Samsung OTA receivers to D-VHS tape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.