AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Pioneer Elite 510 HD RPTV and just realized that it will not fit through the bilco door entrance to my basement. I am in the process of buying this home and cannot back out now (wife would kill me). I am used to the incredible quality of the Elite and cannot imagine going backwards with a new TV. I am looking for suggestions here. My wife and I need the same space to exercise so front projection is out. I figure she would be doing step aerobics right in the lense pathway. I cannot affort $10,000 for an Elite plasma.

Of course perhaps there is a creative way of getting the TV down there that I have so I am open to those suggestions too.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Is it just the door jamb/frame that's in the way? If so, then you could disassemble the pieces surrounding the door to get the TV through.

If it's a problem with turning corners/stairs... not much you can do other than cut a hole in the florr above. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bilco door frame is too small for the TV. I took a box and cut it so that it is the exact same size as the tv and tried to carry it through the opening. The opening is about 3 inches too small at the top so even if I were to hoist the TV straight down the opening of the bilco wont allow it. I thought about removing the actual bilco doors, they are made of steel sitting on top of the concreat stairwell, not sure what is holding them in place, I couldn't find any bolts.

I have another set of steps from the middle of the house but I would have to break through a few walls and reconstruct.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

·
Registered
615 Posts
Oh... now I see it. the bilco doors are those kind on an angle leading to the outside. Been away from the midwest too long and haven't seen those types of things for a long time.

Any chance the RPTV can be taken apart and reassembled downstairs?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hrm...The Pioneer Elite cannot be taken apart. The only other RPTV I know that can be moved in two pieces is JVC's I-Art. From what I am told, the JVC just doesnt compare. I figure eventually I will have to give up something in this situation.

Yes you are right, the bilco doors cover steps leading to an exterior door into the basement. I am unsure the purpose of the doors except to protect the stairway from rain/snow. There may not be a drain down there so it needs to be covered.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimWCB
If it's a problem with turning corners/stairs... not much you can do other than cut a hole in the florr above. :)
Funny, this was exactly the problem I had in 1992 when I wanted to convert an unfinished space over my garage into a home theater room. I could not turn the upstairs corner leading into the room with any rear projection TV I could find.

What a blessing that difficulty turned out to be! At the time, I knew next to nothing about front projectors, but the impossibility of RPTV in my room forced me to learn more. Front projection was my only real option, if I was serious about getting into HT. The workability of FP as a "two-piece" configuration (projector separate from screen) proved to be the solution to my problem. Moreover, front projection opened up rewarding new possibilities for truly cinematic home theater.

Looking back, I have to say I am very glad an RPTV would not fit around that corner. The practicality of front projection shouldn't be dismissed too quickly---it has advantages in many environments...and it's great fun :). For me, FP is the way to go!

Happy home theater-ing!

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I'll endorse that opinion. Furthermore, if you've never had a FP before, you may be unaware that the projector alighns with the top of the screen in a ceiling mount, not the center. Therefore unless you are standing more than halfway between projector and screen, people don't usually cast shadows.

The problem with front projectors is like the problem you alreafy have had. A good FP will have such a large fine picture you'll never be satisfied with an RPTV again.

Gary

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

I have two main concerns about front projection:

1. Cost: I am used to an excellent HD picture with my $4,000 Pioneer Elite RPTV, what cost am I looking at in FP for the same quality? Pioneer Elite upconverts everything to 1080i. From what I have seen, HD FP's cost above $10,000 and good ones for over $20,000. I realize I can post this particular question in the FP area as well.

2. Projector Positioning: My room is 18x15 with a post in the middle. My ceiling is 6 3/4 feet high. Now, I do plan on removing the ceiling and replacing it after moving in so If there is a way of recessing the LCD between rafters a bit that would be interesting. Since my wife and I will be exercising in that room (yes, sometimeswe do DVD routines together) , we would need the space to do so without causing shadowing (if possible) or bonking our head on a projector hanging from the ceiling.

I realize I will have to give something up in this configuration, but I have already learned some new things from your posts and appreciate all your opinions.

·
Registered
228 Posts
 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=252546

This PJ is not 10K and is similar to my JVC G11 DILA. It does HD just fine. If you go the PJ route consider a home theater PC to get the best picture possible. Since the room is 18 Feet Long you could go PJ rear Projection. I am not sure how to set it up but it is possible. Don't forget the much larger picture from a FP then your RPTV, much nicer IMHO.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marty,

I've been told that the D-ILA would also require a video processor which will jack the price up considerably. I simply need to keep the cost below 6K for spousal approval until a later date when I upgrade! In the pj market I am looking closely at a few DLPs such as the Sony HS10, the Infocus LP 650.

Thanks,

·
Registered
228 Posts
David,

Yes some type of video processor would be needed. I use an HTPC. This can be your DVD player also. You need about a 1gig processor and at this point an older GeForce or Radeon and you would be set. Remember FP always has an upgrade path. Good Luck

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Hilton
Funny, this was exactly the problem I had in 1992 when I wanted to convert an unfinished space over my garage into a home theater room. I could not turn the upstairs corner leading into the room with any rear projection TV I could find.

What a blessing that difficulty turned out to be! At the time, I knew next to nothing about front projectors, but the impossibility of RPTV in my room forced me to learn more. Front projection was my only real option, if I was serious about getting into HT. The workability of FP as a "two-piece" configuration (projector separate from screen) proved to be the solution to my problem. Moreover, front projection opened up rewarding new possibilities for truly cinematic home theater.

Looking back, I have to say I am very glad an RPTV would not fit around that corner. The practicality of front projection shouldn't be dismissed too quickly---it has advantages in many environments...and it's great fun :). For me, FP is the way to go!

Happy home theater-ing!
Tom,

Can you please share the equipment you chose in making this switch?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Everything comes apart one way or another. Maybe pay a tech to break down beyond what is available then reconstruct. A good Carpenter and a TV tech should do the trick.

Dave

·
Registered
228 Posts
But the costs to break down and reconstruct could wind up being more then the RPTV may be worth at this point. Plus finding someone to do the TV breakdown may not be simple.

Just finding anyone to do anything is not simple these days!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am arranging for a contractor to come visit the home to learn the cost of tearing down/building walls so that the Elite can fit. I will also have him estimate increasing the bilco door opening. It seems that may be my most cost effective approach.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dmk005
Tom,

Can you please share the equipment you chose in making this switch?

Thanks,

Hi David,

I originally went with a Sharp LCD projector and a Da-light 9' wide pull down screen. Several years later I upgraded to a higher resolution Sharp LCD unit, and in 2001, I made the leap from LCD to DLP with a Dreamvision DL500 projector. Along the way, I also moved to a larger screen (this time, a Draper wall-mount) and a dedicated computer for processing the video I send to my projector.

With each new projector, the performance has improved while the purchase price has been lower. Now, that's a trend I can live with! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.