AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am back to working on my theater (though my thread is in the archive now
, cause I didnt post enough!!
) and I need to know the deal on a RS-232c cable.

I am prewiring the rack to the projector run and the last thing to order is a 232 cable. Are all these cables that are marked RS-232 extension male to female, all the same?? Whats the difference between a RS-232 and RS-232c??

Thanks

Scott

· Registered
1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport /forum/post/0

I am prewiring the rack to the projector run and the last thing to order is a 232 cable. Are all these cables that are marked RS-232 extension male to female, all the same?? Whats the difference between a RS-232 and RS-232c??

Basically 232 and 232c are used interchangeably anymore. If the cable has 9-pins and a db-9 of either gender on each side it is 232/232c - actually technically that is not true - the db9 versions are a subset of the larger spec - see:
http://www.taltech.com/TALtech_web/r.../intro-sc.html

Usually the only two types of serial cables are "straight through" and "null-modem". What type will you need now and in the future? Trick question, it could be either. I don't install dedicated serial cables, I install multiple network cables and use the wire pairs as I see fit. Most serial devices only need 3 wires - transmit, receive, and ground. That means that you can get two serials and an IR out of a single network cable (8 wires total). Also, you run into weird things on serial - my previous projector used a mini-din connector for serial instead of a DB9.

My advice is to go with multiple CAT5e/CAT6 runs (2 minimum) and use adapters on each end - this gives you maximum flexibility now and in the future to do what you want. Alternatively you can go with a straight through F/F DB9 and a null-modem adapter - plus might need some gender changers - that will cover all the different possibilities of DB-9 serial scenarios.

· Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good deal, I have plenty of cat5e left so this is an easy enough option.

Thanks

Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.