AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RS has there big 160" antenna on sale for half price at $49.95 for anyone interested. Instore only. This is a great deal. I have one and it brings in all the stations very clear. I am only 30 miles from the towers, but I believe bigger is better.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2156

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Ditto on the bigger is better. I have my 160" RS ant. about 50 feet high with a 45db preamp, pointed at open sky and pick up all 4 networks from between 70-90 miles out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Nice! Thanks for keeping us posted.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
My 160 is 12 miles away from Chicago transmitters over a second story roof. It's split by 4 to various rooms. One room has an additional 3 way split while another has a 2 way. The 2 DST-3000 receivers at the ends of the room splitters still get 100 readings even on channel 3 at 2/3rds power from a temporary transmitter tower. Maybe I should stick something smaller in the attic. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm only 8 miles from the Empire State Building, but the price was right on the 160. All my local analog and digital stations are coming in crystal clear.

Jeff

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't really want an antenna on top of my house. Would this be a good one to stick in my attic (assuming it will fit)? I live about 35 NW of Chicago and there are no hills between me and downtown.

Fletch

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
It's a good antenna. The fitting is the sticky part. It's big. My house has one ridge going east-west. The antenna needs to point south and a bit east. I couldn't get the thing high enough to get under it and I need the space underneath for storage. I also have a brick building next door that would be way higher than the antenna. If it will fit in your situation I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Is this the RS VU-190 or the RS VU-210 or a UHF only Yagi? The 210 is HUGE! Do not think that I could put that think on my 40ft mast with the rotor and pre-amp it would weight a tun. I have a 190 and had to replace with a CM 4228 as the size of the 190 was freaking my neighbors out.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
It's a UHF/VHF that's smaller than the VU-190. The numbers pretty much represent the boom length in inches (edit) in my bad memory only.

This antenna has so often referred to as a 160" beast that the thought pretty much stuck in my head. A while back I was looking at the thing compared to its 5' section of top mast and realized it's closer to half of 160", a fact which I seem to have promptly forgotten. My bad. Now if I could only remember where I put those ginko pills....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does anyone know how long this will be on sale for? I think I may replace the antenna that's on my roof with this one if it's a better one. How do I measure my existing antenna to see if it's comparable? I know the RS one says it's 160" but is that the length of the antenna itself or the pole that it's on? Sorry for the newbie question. The antenna on my roof came with my house so I know nothing about it unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I've been happy with my VU-210XR.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
The VU-190XR is over 13', or 156", so the model number does not relate to the length.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.