AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have Radio Shack Bow Tie Antenna Part number is 15-623 ? How did you hook it into your TV. Has those 2 plugs and my Zenith SAT 520 takes a coax connection ?

What do i need to do ? Is there any booster also to increase the range ?

Thank you

Kenny

·
Registered
570 Posts
This antenna comes with 300 ohm leadin cable.

It works better if you drill out the rivets that attach the cable to the antenna, and use small bolts to attach a 300 ohm to 75 ohm matching transformer to the antenna. Then you can use 75 ohm coax to run to the RF input of the TV.

If you don't want to do that, you must buy a 300 ohm to F connector attachemnt to connect to your TV. This also is a matching transformer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob, I think i will pass on drilling holes and attaching new bolts on. I will look for a 300ohm to F Connector.

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I uses this part 15-1253 and then attached the 2 leads, then use a coax to connect to my 520 ?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
You can always try connecting it that way; you may luck out.

If it doesn't work well, try the modification.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well picked up the 15-1253 and it kind of works. All i get get is CBS in HD all the other ones I get no signal. I live in Central NJ and I choose Trenton as the city. Do you think I can do better ?

Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
I unsoldered the 300 ohm wires and soldered the 75 ohm wires in their place. This direct connection is the best. I went from 3 stations to 8, including the VHF station.

Now my only reception problem is the complaint from my wife that she doesn't like 'that thing' in the Christmas decorations on the fireplace mantle.

Tom

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom, By chance do you have any pictures on how to do this ? Maybe be simple for you but not for me :(

And tell me what parts do i need.

Thanks

Kenny

·
Registered
570 Posts
Kenny,

You need a 300 ohm to 75 ohm matching transformer that you can get at Radio Shack. It has a short piece of 300 ohm wire coming out of a cylinder with a 75 ohm screw on connection on the other end of the cylinder.

Solder the 300 ohm wires on the matching transforer to the spade lugs that the rivets attach to the antenna. Use rosin core solder. Clip off the old 300 ohm cable that came with the antenna. You now have a 75 ohm connection that it properly impedance matched to the antenna.

Click on my gallery button to see a picture of the modified antenna.

·
Registered
570 Posts
By the way, I happened by our local RS the other night looking for my brother an antenna and I caught a RS DBT for $1.97!

I bought it for my brother.

I paid $18+ for mine.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
It has been stated in other threads that there are significant differences in insertion loss among 300/75 baluns, especially at UHF frequencies. I have always felt that many of the dramatic SS gains attributed to the "DBT mod" actually resulted from the removal of the cheapie type with the piercing screws/barrel connector and replacing with a good quality "spade lug" design balun that can be attached directly to the DBT. I made this exact balun change on my attic DBT and SS improved about 10 units on every channel. I have had very good luck with the CM 7281 balun over the years and have 3 of them in use, but it may be discontinued. Winegard makes some good baluns, and I think RS used to have one around $10 in their catalog that tested out well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.