AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse my ignorance, I just got this, should receive my DST3000 on Friday. So I decided to test out the antenna on analog signals. First of all I'm no expert on this stuff, I assumed the cable would be coax, so how do I hook up this to my tv? Do I need some kind of an adaptor? This won't plug into the DST3000 this way will it?

Anyways, I am about 25 miles away from antenna's and i could not pick up any analog signal with it while testing it out. (I had to hold the cable against the coax input since i could not figure out how to connect it)

·
Registered
804 Posts
The Radio Shack Double Bow tie has a 300 ohm connector. You will need to by a 300-75 ohm transformer ($2-3 at Radio Shack) as well. Then connect some RG6 cable and use the standard 75ohm F connection to attach it to your DST-3000.

I had reasonable reception with the RS double bow tie but am looking for an outdoor antenna to pull in the high frequency UHF channels. Of course your results will vary depending on your location relative to your closest transmission tower.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's a UHF antenna. It *should* help with your Digital channels, but isn't going to do anything for your analog channels.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use the double bow-tie with a DTS3000. I only get ABC (KGO in SF), although I'm just three miles, or so, from the Mt. Sutro transmitter.

Someone suggested I get a RS in-line amplifier for $30, but I thought all that gear cluttering up my beautiful setup was getting out of hand, so I'm going to spring for an outdoor antenna.

------------------

Michael Tchong

Editor, Prosumer Ezine

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm one mile from Sutro. Believe me, even at 3 miles it is unlikely that you need an inline amplifier!!! If anything, you might need to reduce the signal, or more likely, reduce the multipath signals. The bowtie is moderately directional which helps get rid of some of the bouncing ghost signals, which at our range of 1-3 miles are about as strong as the main signal. Heck, echos may be the only signals you're getting, and you just want the antenna to pick up one of them strongly, not a whole bunch).

On advice of someone with a first class radio broadcast license, I modified the bowtie by removing the 300 ohm cable and attaching a step down transformer directly to the antenna leads, then coax from there to the tuner to help shut out the unwanted signals. It seems to have helped some.

If an outside antenna helps you, please post the results?

For indoor use I've heard secondhand good things about the Silver Sensor or Xium (see links below).
http://www.antiference.co.uk/sensor http://www.trisquaretech.com/xium.htm

------------------

..Rick

·
Registered
68 Posts
Prosumer - can you get a line to your attic or a crawlspace? That is where I'm putting the bow-tie - and direction makes a HUGE difference. I'm about 5 miles from our towers, but there is a hill and tall trees right behind me, between me and the towers. I was getting 0 signal with the antenna pointed one way, and 98% with it rotated 180 degrees. Just try fiddling with it a bit, and as someone else suggested, trying clipping the long 300ohm leads.

Oh, and use the signal level meter on your decoder. Just turn it up load and you should be able to hear when you get a good signal!

[This message has been edited by Stele (edited 10-11-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.