AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been leveling my HSU10 from parts express. I have it essentially cornerloaded and I have been looking at the RS SPL meter with various frequency SIN waves. I started at 10hz and worked my way up. I have the RS SPL weighting set to C and range set to 60hz with slow response. The whole system is set to a 75db reference level and as of yet I have not EQed any frequencies because I'm not sure if the SPL is working properly at low frequencies. Reason being is my in room bass response seems to be -1db at 15hz and -3 at 10hz in room measured from my seating position with a 229$ sub.

Either I live in gods acoustically treated apartment, my SPL is perfect for high frequencies and totally deaf to low ones, or this sub was a hell of a bargain. It's not particularly visceral or punchy in your face but the frequency response of this sub seems amazing. I'm kind of new to this whole SPL thing but I have read a bunch of different how to threads on how to use the SPL and as far as I know I'm using it right. The 10hz sin wave goes up when I turn the volume up and down when I turn it down at -10db on the volume knob 10hz is 63db and at 15hz it is 65db then 66db from 20hz to 20khz. I also confirmed these result with the bass treatment 10hz to 22khz frequency sweep on DVE. Can someone explain to me what is happening?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
It's -3dB at 25 Hz and probably rolls of pretty steeply below that. There's no way that sub is putting out 15 Hz, much less 10 Hz even with room gain unless you are playing those tones way loud..
You are probably measuring the harmonic resonances at higher frequencies above 10 and 15 Hz.

·
Banned
3,550 Posts
What size is the room? Are you measuring with the mains on and if so what is there crossover and/or size setting? What level is on the amp that your using to power the sub? Are these sine wave measurements with or without SPL corrections based on the frequency response of the RS meter?

Be aware that the RS meter is only going to read the highest SPL so if you have harmonics from 10Hz that are distortion it may read the harmonics rather than the actual SPL of 10Hz. You are probobly clipping the amp as most will not be flat that low.

edit: croseiv beat me to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts