AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the Mitsubishi would be in the "below $3000" thread, but the RS1 has a home here so I figured maybe this would be the thread to post in. I wasn't sure how to phrase the heading, but it pretty much somes it up. I have owned many projectors over the years and currently have a RS1 which I've been pretty happy with. In my opinion, it is still a little flat, in my opinion, when compared to the past DLP projectors I've owned (infocus 7210, benq w20000). I have owned it for about 2 years and recently moved to a house where the screening room is a little smaller than before. Long story short, I can't zoom out the JVC enough to fill my 138" 2:35 screen (about six inches too short) when watching anamorphic material. I noticed that the hc4000 had a short throw along with a great price and this peeked my interest. Has anyone seen both? If so, I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
You're not alone on your thinking. I figure the 4000 with it's DC3 and 1 chip will look very sharp and 3D like what you're use to with the past DLP projectors. But this one is 1080p. I'd like to run some numbers on that PJ, almost tempted to pick one up local at Best Buys.

I don't think I'd be offending my friends at Optoma on this one, it's all good.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You might be better served by getting an anamorphic lens (Or even making one, which is much cheaper than a new projector itself). I made a lens that would cost about $150-$200 with material I used in a garage.

The Mitsubishi doesn't have a shorter throw than the JVC, and the anamorphic mode for the mitsubishi projectors are designed for installers that install a lens that cannot move. The JVC can still give you a "theorhetically" correct image for 16:9 content (by switching to 4:3). I think the Mitsubishi may have a "shrink" method for screens and non lens or "zoomless" set ups, which may interest you.

Your projector will have a longer throw for 16:9 content, which the lens itself will have pincushion, but it is reduced the longer the throw (although a curved screen gives the best results even with shorter throws)

A longer throw will give you a higher perceived contrast anyway, and the lens can provide more brightness than the zoom method.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I haven't seen the HC4000 but own both the RS1 and the Sharp Z15000, which is apparently very close to the HC4000 (same DMD, similar brightness, sharpness and color performance according to projectorreviews). The black levels are better on the RS1 whilst the Z15000 (and I suspect the HC4000 as well) is brighter, sharper and has more pop. Of the two, I prefer watching the Z15000 and it definitely handles ambient light better. The newer .65" DMDs are definitely sharper than early generation JVCs but they are not as razor sharp as .95" DMD models. After owning a W20000 you may be dissappointed by .65" based projectors.

·
Registered
460 Posts
So an approximately $1200 projector as more pop than a 4k projector and is more enjoyable to watch. This is a pretty significant statement. I read in a Mits press release that the HC4000 has 750:1 ansi contrast. I don't understand why LCOS isn't higher considering that the RS1 is achieving contrast without an iris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts