AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my rs1(HD1)for about 18 months now, and the upgrade bug has bitten again.

I don't have the opportunity to see a VW80 working in the flesh, so like the three PJs before I have to buy from recommendation. So far so good

I generally love the picture the HD1 throws, except for all the normal niggles, eg bright corners, slight colour tinting on one edge and a bit louder than I would like. And of course the GREEEEN greens.

But I love the contrast, and detail in dark scenes.

Now I have never owned a PJ with an iris, and am a little scared I might not like it. But everything else seems to be in the vw80s favour, from what I read.

So the big question. Would I see improvement in all areas, even if only slight?

And would I get as good contrast as the HD1 if I left the iris off????

Cheers

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Ive seen the VW80 here and the difference in PQ is very slight. The 80 has motion flow if you need it, throws a tad bit sharper image. Other than that I would suggest you waiting it out to see if anything new comes out upcoming cedia. If the wait is killing you, then spring for the RS20/HD750 and keep that for awhile.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's sharper, has better convergence, you'll certainly get better colour and uniformity, as well as a smoother image with DFI engaged. Native on/off of the VW80 is pretty good as is it's ANSI but don't be scared of the auto iris, Sony know what they're doing so apart from end credits you'll probably not notice it.

Do suggest you try and demo one though.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I will have to try and demo a vw80. No chance of seeing an HD750 unfortunately.

One thing that does intregue me is the motion flow idea. I don't mind some blur, in fact I think the look of some of the high refresh rate devices looks a little unnatural. But the blur on pans of the rs1 really annoys me.

Is the hd750 any better in this respect? I assume its not.

Given the price difference in Oz is about $3000 between the vw80 and hd750 I wonder if its really worth the difference!?

That $3000 I could spend on an anamorphic lens....

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Having had experience with a dynamic iris in my last projector, I suggest you keep the RS1 or upgrade to the RS20. However, it may not bother you like it does me. Sounds like a question that only a demo can answer.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Highjinx, that looks like a rebadged iscan VP50! Its made by the same people too.

Actually colours are the least of my concerns. And in fact I spoke with a sales person today who sells botht he VW80 and HD750. They thought that I would be down grading going to the vw80. But then they probably make more money on the JVC.

I'm starting to think I jumped the gun. It might be worth just keeping the HD1 for another year or so. And spending the money on an anamorphic lens.

Brac, given I have problems with rainbows in DLP and plasma flat panels, its a fair likelyhood I will not like the iris system either.

·
Registered
274 Posts
We are lucky in Australia that you may not need much to trade up to Sony as the new pricing is still low compare to other markets. You know the VW80 is actually costing more than HD750 in Japan.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
peterho3,

I know I can get the vw80 at a reasonable price, but I'm not convinced it will be an upgrade!

I bet they don't sell many vw80s compared to hd750s in Japan!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have my VW80 for a while. Still waiting for indepth review of it comparing to HD750 which should be its main target. I have no experience with HD1 but if you believe reviews you can find than VW80 should be an upgrade at least to previous JVC.

Personally I can't stand colour uniformity problem. VW80 is about perfect in that area. Convergence is perfect too and I don't have to touch its correct function. Black is deep even without using auto iris. Motionflow is fun to play with but not without its limitation. Normally I will turn DFI off as 24p is smooth enough. Colour is pleasing and not much adjustment needed. Power zoom/shift and lens door just makes life that much easier. And it is dead quiet even in high lamp mode.

My only complaint is that there is slight bright corner issue. Something dropping iris close reg and Black Level setting can minimize. Also gamma setting can target any specific area for more precious tweaking.

Don't think it is selling any better outside Japan. It is pretty quiet in UK/AUS forum about this projector. Can't find much about the similar VW70 in US forum too.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
as i posted in the other thread, my VW80 is phenomenal in my opinion. my understanding is that it is an updated VW200 minus the carl zeiss lens and xenon bulb.

for a dealer to opine that it would not be an upgrade to go from an RS1 to a VW80 is interesting. as previously mentioned, the RS20/HD750 would be the likely alternative JVC model.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterho3 /forum/post/15606773

Don't think it is selling any better outside Japan. It is pretty quiet in UK/AUS forum about this projector. Can't find much about the similar VW70 in US forum too.

It's pretty quiet because there are so few available, so it's not that dealers can't sell them, they can't get them. Also UK pricing is around aud$12k, twice what we've paying and as for the VW70, a VW80 but minus MotionFlow but also costing around aud$12k, why would anyone in the US buy one.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think oversea pricing of VW80 can be considered normal (comparing price from their place of origin Japan), only local Aus price is ridiculusly cheap. Sometimes I can't understand Sony's way of thinking. People in Aus can't buy because of no stock. People oversea won't buy because someone can get it with 50% off somewhere. End result is very few is buying or able to buy it. Where are all the stocks stuck at? Sony sure has a winner here, why kill its own business?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts