AVS Forum banner

Will you cancel your RS1 pre-order if there is no LUT access?

• Yes

Votes: 38 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 58.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 44 22.1%
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's provide some concrete feedback here for JVC and maybe we'll get the results we want..

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
How about just RGB gain and offset in the user menu?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I wouldn't cancel it (as I haven't pre-purchased it), but I also wouldn't buy it. I'd wait until they had a version that had access to the service menu, or I'd purchase something else as a holdover (likely the latter).

·
Registered
735 Posts
I will not cancel, but it is a serious drawback. I can live with most of the things that people mention are missing, but my G11 was calibrated by the original calibrator (the name currently escapes me, but he lived in california). It was a night and day difference. I'm sure the rs1 is better out of the box than the G11, but it would be nice to get closer to perfection.

If Elliot is calibrating both pearl and hd1, what is he doing to the hd1?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I won't cancel but I think this is the largest problem with the RS1 at this point. All of the other points are "features" that I can live without. This appears to be a "gap" in basic calibration capability. Granted I'm no expert but do trust input from people like William on such things...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Won't cancel, will use Lumagen to fill void.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Assuming there is no fix, the issue then becomes is there a problem in the first place. If panel uniformity is off significantly I'll return the RS1. This is where the LUT adjustment becomes really important, IMO.

I'm off to reread the Cinehome review as I can't believe there are no controls to address color shift with UHP bulb aging, and Elliott "calibrated" both the Pearl and HD1 in the shootoff.

Dan

·
Registered
5,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd /forum/post/0

BINGO! OK its one thing to not provide access to the LUT. But to not at least have a separate control for gain and offset is mind boggling to say the least.

Based on Ekkehart's comments on the other thread, it appears that the two RGB controls that are provided can be used to accurately set greyscale. So, I'm reserving judgment on the lack of separate RGB gain and offset control until I get a unit to try.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I would not know what to do with the LUT adjustments. I would, however, very much appreciate RGB gain and bias controls which were present on my previous Epson Cinema 500 and Panny 900 projectors, and my current Panny AX100.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
It really needs:

1) RGB gain and bias, would never use LUT adjustments

2) Optical shift or even just panel image shift from the remote so you can bring a 2:35-1 movie down to a 16/9's screen bottom.

3) VGA 1080p input

The added contrast is welcome, but given the premium price I'm wondering why the items above are missing, when pretty much standard with lower costing units?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.