AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have the 3000, and I'm just not happy with the black levels. It is 10 ft from a Carada BW screen so I have plenty brightness. Would the rs2 be a better choice?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Several months ago I upgraded from a Panasonic PT AE1000U to an RS2 clone (Pioneer) and noticed significant improvements in the black levels as well as the overall contrast. I can't comment on the 3000. The 1000U did have to be sent in one time for repair under warranty (fan and auto iris).

Currently I am projecting on a (2.35 to 1) 105" wide Semour AT retractable screen and couldn't be happier. It has plenty of brightness in a light controlled room. The main issue I have is it does not have the automatic zoom adjustment like the 3000. For standard 16 X 9 and 4 X 3 images I have to zoom out until the top and bottom edges are even with the screen. For 2.35 to 1 I slide down my Panamorph lens, hit the vertical squeeze on the projector, and zoom to fit the screen.

Jim

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1432 /forum/post/16983139

Several months ago I upgraded from a Panasonic PT AE1000U to an RS2 clone (Pioneer) and noticed significant improvements in the black levels as well as the overall contrast. I can't comment on the 3000. The 1000U did have to be sent in one time for repair under warranty (fan and auto iris).

Currently I am projecting on a (2.35 to 1) 105" wide Semour AT retractable screen and couldn't be happier. It has plenty of brightness in a light controlled room. The main issue I have is it does not have the automatic zoom adjustment like the 3000. For standard 16 X 9 and 4 X 3 images I have to zoom out until the top and bottom edges are even with the screen. For 2.35 to 1 I slide down my Panamorph lens, hit the vertical squeeze on the projector, and zoom to fit the screen.

Jim

yeah, a Panamorph lens would be killer, but spendy. I am using a 16:9 screen, and do not want to have to adjust anything. Plus I do not want to mask off the screen every time the format changes. I was thinking the RS2 would be a lot blacker.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Last year my friend tried to get me to go front projection by showing me his Epson 1080UB setup on a 92" 1.1 gain screen. My impression was that it looked great but the black levels didn't cut if for this (previous) Kuro owner.

I went out and viewed an RS20 setup in a store this year and was impressed enough and with the fire sales of the Pioneer FPJ1s(RS2 clones) I made the jump as it was enough to sway me. The black levels on my Pioneer are good enough and certainly better than my friends 1080UB. I recently switched my screen to a 106" Dalite High Power screen and now my black levels are better than my friends setup and my brightness is much better as well.
Since my Kuro was no longer used for movies it was sold on Craig's list.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btizzle /forum/post/16982920

Right now I have the 3000, and I'm just not happy with the black levels. It is 10 ft from a Carada BW screen so I have plenty brightness. Would the rs2 be a better choice?

Has it been calibrated by a colorimeter?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it has not been calibrated. But I have tried turning the brightness all the way down and lamp on eco mode, and I am still not happy with the black bars. They are still too bright. Maybe I will just make my own masking system.

I just thought of a great way to make a masking system. Make a piece of cloth the exact width of your screen with a sleeve on the screen end, and but a wooden dowel through the sleeve for a straight edge and weight to tighten the cloth. Easy enough? I think I might just try this with the panny..

·
Registered
6,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btizzle /forum/post/16987668

No, it has not been calibrated. But I have tried turning the brightness all the way down and lamp on eco mode, and I am still not happy with the black bars. They are still too bright. Maybe I will just make my own masking system.

I just thought of a great way to make a masking system. Make a piece of cloth the exact width of your screen with a sleeve on the screen end, and but a wooden dowel through the sleeve for a straight edge and weight to tighten the cloth. Easy enough? I think I might just try this with the panny..

Even with an RS2 the black bars need improvement. I think you're on the right path. I have a drop down screen and at the moment I raise the screen to the next notch up on my Model C and adjust the projector's lens (manual on the RS2). I've found that the lower bar is the most distracting as I don't notice the top bar as much. But soon I'm going to jerry rig something so that I don't see the top bar as well (there's also light reflections on the black case as well). This will likely resolve somewhat of your frustrations. I know the feeling.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I went from an AE3000 to a HD350 (similar if not inferior CR to the RS2) and finally got the dark scene performance I'd been looking for. I don't know if my lamp had dimmed prematurely on the AE3000, but the HD350 also seemed brighter, so I have been able to use the iris set to about 14 (service menu). IIRC the RS2 doesn't have the iris control, but it will be brighter than my HD350 on iris 14.

I also agree with the posts regarding masking. I have a 2.35:1 screen and mostly watch that format on BluRay (just the type of films I choose I suppose), the crisp outline given by the matching screen (same as masking a 16:9) helps give better perceived contrast I find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts