AVS Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 4341 Posts

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Cameron,

I presume you've used your Radiance to correctly calibrate the color of the RS2.

How would you describe the difference/improvements?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/14584047

Cameron,

I presume you've used your Radiance to correctly calibrate the color of the RS2.

How would you describe the difference/improvements?

Thanks.

Yeah have done the color correction twice. Once really early on when they released the CMS system. Then one other time with a subsequent build. Both times the improvement was very good. I think that it improved the reds the most actually.

I am very pleased with the RadianceXD. It has been a great addition to the system.

Since the calibrations, I have loaded a new build with newer enhancements and have set the Radiance back to default because the changes to the CMS required recalibration. I have been busy on other crap so I haven't gotten around to do it again.

Tonight I am hopefully going to load the latest tonight or tomorrow. Haven't been any updates for about a week and a half so I think now is the time to load that. I will recalibrate in the next week or two.

The Olympics kinda took over my life not to mention a family vacation in the middle of it. Now it is cooling off outside and is becoming a good time to hunker down in the theater as it gets cold.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Thanks Cameron. Any other observations you might have when you have the time would be great.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron /forum/post/14584005

Congrats on your RS2!

Well everybody has different settings. I have a RadianceXD video processor so that changes things a bit.

Most people have set their color back a bit to help with some oversaturation. Another thing to play with is the custom gamma settings.

Do a search through this thread and you will be able to see what some have done in that regard.

Apart from color correction with the Radiance, have you noticed any improvemnt of 480i/p SD DVD over the the internal processor in the RS2?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yep the Radiance does much better there. It is on par and perhaps a little better than my Toshiba XA2 DVD player which has about the best upscaling that I have seen.

The RS2 does a great job also.

Now if only my satellite box would let me do native mode for SD stuff, I would be much happier. It has a crappy upscaler.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Another new RS2 owner here... I'd been using my DVD player happily for a couple weeks, then decided to hook up my ps3 for bluray the other night, wow. Major difference.

The problem I'm having now I'd describe as Red Crush. This has only happened with bluray. I'm using the default settings and have not calibrated it because frankly, it looks great. I watched the Shakira live disc last night, this is rated as a disc of reference quality. Bright pure reds in things like spotlights resulted in solid red blobs.

What should I do?

Quote:
does running in high lamp mode cut the bulb life?

The manual says no.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow /forum/post/14586932

does running in high lamp mode cut the bulb life?

The manual says no and the JVC engineer said no also.

So far the only downside that I have seen with the lamp on high is more fan noise.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghause /forum/post/14587032

Another new RS2 owner here... I'd been using my DVD player happily for a couple weeks, then decided to hook up my ps3 for bluray the other night, wow. Major difference.

The problem I'm having now I'd describe as Red Crush. This has only happened with bluray. I'm using the default settings and have not calibrated it because frankly, it looks great. I watched the Shakira live disc last night, this is rated as a disc of reference quality. Bright pure reds in things like spotlights resulted in solid red blobs.

What should I do?

The manual says no.

First, what are the settings on your PS3? I use a PS3 for my setup and I used it prior to the Radiance. I never had red blobs.

One other thing to try with the RS2 is try setting the color to -15 to -25 range. See if that helps.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks Cameron I'll give that a try.

Also, I was under the impression that this was a quiet projector. I got this sight-unseen open-box, and I am very disappointed at its fan noise in 'normal lamp' mode. Should I have expected its fan to overpower the noise of both my ps3 and mini-split ac? I can hear its fan at about 20' away.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Well I wouldn't rank it as that quiet. It is a common complaint. I believe that some RS2s might be a bit louder than others.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghause /forum/post/14587376

Thanks Cameron I'll give that a try.

Also, I was under the impression that this was a quiet projector. I got this sight-unseen open-box, and I am very disappointed at its fan noise in 'normal lamp' mode. Should I have expected its fan to overpower the noise of both my ps3 and mini-split ac? I can hear its fan at about 20' away.

My RS2 sits on a shelf about 6ft behind me and I can't hear the fan unless the theater room is completely quiet. Of course, after sitting directly beneath a Sony G70 for 7 years, between the significant difference in dB between the two and the hearing loss from listening to movies at higher volume to drown out the Sony( and 7 years older) it becomes a matter of perspective

·
Registered
346 Posts
Aside from speakers, pj, 2 chairs and tools, my room is completely empty. I'm hoping acoustic treatment and some more furniture will cut down on the echo, and maybe this will make the fan stand out a little less.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy /forum/post/14584890

Apart from color correction with the Radiance, have you noticed any improvemnt of 480i/p SD DVD over the the internal processor in the RS2?

Anyone else considering an RSVP2?

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghause /forum/post/14588384

Aside from speakers, pj, 2 chairs and tools, my room is completely empty. I'm hoping acoustic treatment and some more furniture will cut down on the echo, and maybe this will make the fan stand out a little less.

People, furniture and acoustic treatment will probably make the fan noise a little less annoying (as you implied), but it won't make it any quieter relative to the rest of the sound in the room. That said, it might be enough to make it easier to live with.

Like another poster said, projector fan noise is a very common complaint.

Frank

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghause /forum/post/14588384

It will probably help a lot.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,097 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow /forum/post/14583982

I am new to the rs2 arena. Can you guys post where I should put my settings at? I do not have a calibration disc and even If I did I wouldn't do it very well. I thought I might ask for your help. Can someone walk me through it?

On the first page I noted where my settings were at using a test disc on 2 different DVD players. Give them a try. The biggest change was going to the 2.5 gamma. Otherwise, my settings remained pretty close to zero. I have the HD version of DVE now and will do another round of calibrating. I'll post on page one when I get the time.

Chris

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,098 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghause /forum/post/14587376

Hmm, I was quite pleased with the db level from the RS2. No way can I hear it from 20'. I run in high mode because I like the extra punch, but in 'normal', I have to actually try to hear it. Then again, I'm coming from a G11, which was pretty close to a small vacuum cleaner.

Chris

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
It is really easy to set the gamma. On high lamp if everything was really quiet in the room, I think I could still barely hear the RS2 on high lamp a even a little more.

1081 - 1100 of 4341 Posts