AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the back of my Denon AVR-4806 it has a female 15pin receptacle as does my Sharp XV-Z2000 projector.

I want to hook up a PC to the projector to play MP3's from and to surf the net...

On the back of the Sharp, there is a switch for Video and PC, you simply flick the switch for whatever you wish to view...

I bought a 25ft. SVGA monitor cable... is RS232C same as SVGA?

Should I hook the 25ft SVGA cable to the PC directly, or should I use a shorter SVGA cable and run it from the PC to the Denon Receiver?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
On the back of my Denon AVR-4806 it has a female 15pin receptacle as does my Sharp XV-Z2000 projector.

I want to hook up a PC to the projector to play MP3's from and to surf the net...

On the back of the Sharp, there is a switch for Video and PC, you simply flick the switch for whatever you wish to view...

I bought a 25ft. SVGA monitor cable... is RS232C same as SVGA?

Should I hook the 25ft SVGA cable to the PC directly, or should I use a shorter SVGA cable and run it from the PC to the Denon Receiver?

HUH?????.... RS-232 is definitely NOT the same as SVGA. RS-232 normally uses DB9 or DB25 connectors. Are you sure you have 15 pin connectors? At any rate, the RS-232 connections are external control channels on most equipment. RS-232 connections don't have the bandwidth for real time video.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crap!!! My mistake.... I just took a closer look on the back of the sharp projector... the RS232-C is a 9 pin connector!

I ASSumed it was 15pin just like the back of the computer.

So how do I go 15pin from the computer to 9 pin on the projector?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Curiouser and curiouser!

Below is a excerpt I just extracted from the the XV-Z2000 online brochure. It says the RS-232 is a DB9???!!!???

INPUTS

2 Component (Y, Pb, Pr)

1 Composite Video (RCA)

1 S-Video (4-Pin DIN)

1 DVI-I/HDCP (Component and Digital/Analog RGB)

1 RS-232C Serial Port (9-Pin D-Sub)

I don't know what to make of your situation but if it is RS-232, you should not connect it directly to a SVGA output; absolutely will not work and may damage one or both of the components.

EDIT: Sorry... I posted before I saw your second message.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You can't. RS232 or serial is only meant for communication type traffic. If your projector does not have a VGA connector (15 pin), you won't be able to send any video over that type of interface.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just called Sharp, and they told me that I can use an SVGA 15pin cable and simiply get a 9pin adapter.... kinda like they do with DVI to HDMI adapters. He said I should be able to find an SVGA-RS232 (15-9pin) cable somewhere... but since I already had the SVGA cable to just get an adapter....

Oh well, the cable was only $13 bucks... from PCcables.com, glad it wasnt a $100 waste of cable if need be.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
:mad: WHAT KINDA MORON THEY GOT WORKING AT SHARP? :mad:

You cannot do this. They are totally incompatible!

There were DB9 VGA connectors on old (early 90s) PC - they weren't RS-232 compatible either - and that's what the adapter is made for. Don't even try to use the cable. You'll burn out one or the other end. :eek:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
:mad: WHAT KINDA MORON THEY GOT WORKING AT SHARP? :mad:

You cannot do this. They are totally incompatible!

There were DB9 VGA connectors on old (early 90s) PC - they weren't RS-232 compatible either - and that's what the adapter is made for. Don't even try to use the cable. You'll burn out one or the other end. :eek:
DMF speaks the truth. Don't listen to the Sharp tech. You need something like this. Just run your vga cable from your PC (or optionally through your Denon) up to your projector. Plug the adapter I referenced between your projector and the cable.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks DMF and Brian... who knows how many hundreds of dollars you may have saved me. I'll ditch the SVGA cable. BTW, the guy at Sharp didnt sound all that confident about using the adapter... he said it was okay, but the tone in his voice made me think he didnt know what he was talking about.

So here's my situation:

Sharp XV-Z2000 projector:

-1 DVI Input being connected to my Denon AVR-4806 Receiver

-1 Component (RBG) cable connected to Denon AVR-4806

The sharp has one additional component input, S-VIDEO, and an RCA input... 5 total inputs and two are being used as stated above.

My Denon-AVR-4806 has 1 HDMI input... that's what I'm going to connect the Denon DVD-1920 to (HDMI to HDMI)... it has only 1 HDMI output which will go to the projector.

The Denon-4806 also has a single RS232-C (9 pin connector) input.

Computers generally speaking have an SVGA (15 pin output), are there any video cards out there that have a 9pin RS232-C plug?

I'm starting to get really confused and ready to give up on connecting the PC to the projector... really not that big a deal, I just wanted to be able to play MP3's through the SWAN speakers...

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Thanks DMF and Brian... who knows how many hundreds of dollars you may have saved me.
Who knows? The people who posted before them telling you that SVGA and RS232 are not compatable...but you chose to ignore them.

Quote:
are there any video cards out there that have a 9pin RS232-C plug?
Why would they? RS232 is a serial data standard, not video.

Quote:
I just wanted to be able to play MP3's through the SWAN speakers...
Then why are you posting about video?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Tony,

And my sincere thanks to the other posters before Brian and DMF... I meant no disrespect not to include all of you too...

So, do any computers have an RS232-C output for a monitor? PCcables.com has a 25ft DB9M - DB9F cable for $7 bucks...

Mark

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tony, sorry to offend you... I'm no techno guru.... I literally have no idea how all this stuff works... we all have our own special skills and talents, unfortunately audio/video/electronics is NOT one of mine... I'm sure glad its one of yours though.

Just talked to my Dad, he said as an option that I can use the 25ft SVGA cable coming out of the computer, but hook it up to the projector's RBG component input using a component/SVGA adapter...

I never heard of such an adapter, but he said it exists... maybe that's the route I should go?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looky what I found :)

Would this work?

http://www.computercablesource.com/i...-hd15-3rca.jpg

Its a "25´ Python HDTV SVGA to 3 RCA" for $24 bucks....

Quote:
Python™ HDTV SVGA Component Video Cables –

Unparalleled Quality and Performance for High-Definition Video and Audio Equipment –

Fully support (Y, Pr, Pb), (Y, Cr, Cb) and RGB high resolution standards –

Precision 75Ω Impedance for Max. Signal Transfer –

EMI-RFI Protected Double High-Density Aluminum Shield –

100% 0.12mm Aluminum-Polyester Foil Shield –

3 Mini-Coax 95% Copper-Braid Shielded Conductors –

95% Spiral-Wound-Shield H/V Sync Conductors –

99.99% Pure Oxygen-Free Copper Wire –

Bundled Cable Configuration –

Ultra-Flex Satin-Ivory Rubber 13mm OD PVC Jacket –

Low-Attenuation Foamed Cellular Dielectric –

24K Gold-Plated Heavy Duty Connectors –

Color-Coded – Fully Molded Construction

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
As I think about this, you need to contact Sharp or your dealer to find out if that DB9 port is a serial (RS232) port or a video port. I doubt it's a video port but in defense of some who may think it's a video port....there are circumstances where a DB9 was used as a video port. To make the differentiation between a serial (COM) port and a video port, the genders were different. Serial ports are commonly male at the device. Video would be female. Now when was a DB9 used as video? Some may not remember but back in the days of CGA/EGA/monochrome, DB9 was used as a video port. My old NEC Multisync II monitor I have attached to my servers still has the remnants of this port configuration. But since those days and with SVGA being the minimum standard now, I can safely say that a DB9 port is not being used as a video port.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Mark,

Getting back to your basic question...

The SVGA/Component converter will convert your computer VIDEO output to a component VIDEO signal for the projector. You can probably use the second component input on your receiver for that.

AUDIO is another matter. Even if you get the SVGA/Component VIDEO to work, you still won't have any AUDIO. You will need to get a separate AUDIO connection from the PC to the receiver. Depending on the sound card in your PC , you may already have a SPDIF (coax or optical) output that can be connected to your receiver. If not, surely, it has a analog stereo jack for driving a external speaker system. You will just need to find the proper AUDIO cable that has the PC mini-plug on one end and RCA plugs on the other end.

FORGET using the RS-232 for transferring any AUDIO or VIDEO information. They are for control purposes (or possibly software upgrades) only.

EDIT: That Steren cable you posted is a "bundled" cable only (four cables rolled into one sleeve). It WILL NOT convert your computer output to component input. You need a true SVGA/Component converter. Audio Authority is a well know brand of converters.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks,

So, sorry to beg the obvious... but do you have a source where I can get an SVGA-Component cable that will work?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Look here

http://www.smarthome.com/777060.html

or

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3103&sku=40226&engine=adwords!654&keywo rd=%28vga+component+video+converter%29

or

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_...?DataName=9A60

or

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/v...a.html#hd15rgb

Since your projector supports RGB analog input, you can PROBABLY get away with one of the conversion cables from RAM Electronics or other vendors. Having said that, I would still prefer the true SVGA/Component converter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Thanks,

So, sorry to beg the obvious... but do you have a source where I can get an SVGA-Component cable that will work?
The one you posted earlier will work. Keep in mind that if you connect your computer to your projector with this cable you will only get video, not audio. There will be a separate connection from your PC to your receiver for that, as maddogmc already explained.

As for the purpose of the DB9 RS-232 port, my guess is that it is used for powering up/down via computer command, or for updating the firmware in the projector.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung
To make the differentiation between a serial (COM) port and a video port, the genders were different. Serial ports are commonly male at the device. Video would be female.
Yes, good point.

Mark, what is the gender of the connector on the projector? Does it have pins or holes?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.