AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
There is not such thing as an HDTV antenna, it's just an antenna. The antenna doesn't care if the signal is digital or analog. That said, in local to suburban locations this may work well, but there may be better options. RS has a great return policy so pick one up and try it, nothing to loose...

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Another hi-tech looking, overpriced, low performance antenna to fool those who don't know any better. Get an all-metal antenna like the excellent Channel Master model 4221 for $25 - it will work 10x better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have direct experience. I bought because it wasn't too ugly if I needed to mount it outside. I started in the attic and could get three out of nine digital stations marginally. I then tried it outside but in a less than optimal spot and was able to get 4 stations decently. Not good enough in my opinion. I returned it and got the U75R and now can get all eight UHF stations, one marginally, but can't get the VHF station. It is in my attic with a 14dB amp. The U75R, even with the amp is cheaper and better.

I just don't want to mount it outside because it is not too attractive and I don't have a spot where it will be hidden from the neighbors.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I have THIS RS UHF Only antenna for like $22 bucks and it works great. Also the RS 15-1171 Digital Cable Amplifier works great for HDTV.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I would imagine that the HDTV antenna has a tiny UHF section.

That's basically a really expensive pair of rabbit ears that you mount outside.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great advice. I will be avoiding this antenna. It just looked like an easy install for my attic. Speaking of attic installs, I have 4 HDTV signals within 15 miles on UHF and 1 on VHF. The kicker is my ABC affiliate is 60 miles away in the opposite direction. I really would like an attic install for ease and safety of install. Does this sound like I will be ok with an attic install in my area? I'm not too keen about the outside install for safety reasons and i'm not willing to have it professionally installed. I'm cheap .

:p

I'm looking at the RShack UV-90 or UV-120. I believe I can fit the 90 in the attic but i'm not sure about the 120. The 120 looks huge. Any experience with these two units?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the 120 in my attic, and it "JUST" fits, as I have to turn it about 20degrees.

But it works fantastic, I get all the Digital stations that are broadcasted nearly 40 miles away. I even get some that I really should not be, but they come through.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
I have this RS UHF Only antenna for like $22 bucks and it works great. Also the RS 15-1171 Digital Cable Amplifier works great for HDTV.
I also have THAT (an RS 15-2160) and get good results. But after moving recently it is perched on top of my HTPC, which looks a bit excessive, somewhat like a 40" death ray pointed at the couch. ;)

So I'm thinking of trying a Silver Sensor.

- Tom

·
Registered
85 Posts
how good are the antennas that clips on to your satellite dish. assuming that i need something in the green range, will that thing be strong enough to receive my HD UHF signals?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2190

another question.....if you set up a rooftop antenna along with my HD dish, do i have to run both of the cables separately or do they join somewhere on the outside and come into my STB as one cable?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
This looks like a Terk antenna and they are all crap. With my dish (Phase III) I have to run a separate cable for the antenna.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The only antennas that work well are old-fashioned all metal antennas and they are cheaper too. If your local digital channels are on the UHF band you can use a much smaller and lower profile UHF-only antenna. Avoid the overpriced types that don't work.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I thought that too until I tried the Silver Sensor.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
GregF

I ditto that statement. I don’t knock all of Radio Shacks products but that antenna is a pretty good knock off of the Terk ANT 42, which I tested about six months ago.

The problem with this and other omni directional antennas is with digital signals using a directional antenna or an antenna on a rotor is key to avoid multipath which can cause (at the very least) drop outs or no signal at all. This is not an issue if all of your stations are in the same direction

The Silver Sensor is a very directional antenna due to its log periodic design in simple terms the design is conducive to rejecting multipath. The down side if any is you will have experiment with placement, but isn’t that half the fun of all of this anyway :)

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gingurus
how good are the antennas that clips on to your satellite dish. assuming that i need something in the green range, will that thing be strong enough to receive my HD UHF signals?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2190

another question.....if you set up a rooftop antenna along with my HD dish, do i have to run both of the cables separately or do they join somewhere on the outside and come into my STB as one cable?
gingurus,

Don't buy a clip-on antenna, or any OTA antenna sold by Terk.

OTA antenna signals may be combined and diplexed into the same RG6 coax used by the D* dish. An additional diplexer may be needed indoors to resplit the signal, depending on your STB. If you need an antenna amp/preamp, I would avoid diplexers and run a separate RG6 coax for the antenna.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.