AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this RTA PRO app on iPhone and I must say I like it.

I don't have the time or patience to learn REW and I basically just wanted something that would show the SPL of certain frequencies in real time. This app is perfect for that!

I played a test tone cd that came with my HSU subs. I jotted down the dbs it showed for the 16-80hz tones.

Then I would move my subs, like point one to wall instead of away. And then jot down new data. This really helped me get them sounding better.

However, when I set volume to my normal listening level, I'm getting everything except 40 and 63hz registering within a couple DB of 80.
63hz is showing 73db though and sounds piss poor.

Any ideas on what I can do to get that better? I'm pretty sure the wireless kits for my subs are screwing up the Audyssey distances. Would adjusting distances potentially help? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I got this RTA PRO app on iPhone and I must say I like it.

I don't have the time or patience to learn REW and I basically just wanted something that would show the SPL of certain frequencies in real time. This app is perfect for that!

I played a test tone cd that came with my HSU subs. I jotted down the dbs it showed for the 16-80hz tones.

Then I would move my subs, like point one to wall instead of away. And then jot down new data. This really helped me get them sounding better.

However, when I set volume to my normal listening level, I'm getting everything except 40 and 63hz registering within a couple DB of 80.
63hz is showing 73db though and sounds piss poor.

Any ideas on what I can do to get that better? I'm pretty sure the wireless kits for my subs are screwing up the Audyssey distances. Would adjusting distances potentially help? Any other ideas?
Make a few cheap bass traps and put them in the corners.

Yes, changing the distance settings can make a big difference. Use the smallest increments available.

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
I disagree with highfigh - start with the larger distance increments (typically 1') and "move" the subs in one foot increments, following the Sub Distance Tweak procedure.

That being said, it's a pretty safe bet that the mic in your phone isn't calibrated to any known value, so any measurements you get from it are suspect and shouldn't be used to "tune" your system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.