AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of the $6000 estimate I got today to reprogram the RTI, I'm jettisoning the old tech and stepping into the new, with something I can do myself. I have a ton of rs232 connectors, ir emitters, etc. is any of this compatible? Might it be with irule, or some other app-based control system?

Ps. Anybody want a used RTI XP8? Nothing wrong with it except the programming!:eek:

·
Registered
170 Posts
What is involved for $6,000? you have a XP-8 and what remote do you have? Should be a $100 to $200 to swap over rs232 to RF for the yamaha.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always just used the iPad and iPhone app for control, as I inherited five licenses with the house and didn't really need a physical remote. The proposed installer says the whole thing needs to be reprogrammed from the bottom up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In light of the $6000 estimate I got today to reprogram the RTI, I'm jettisoning the old tech and stepping into the new, with something I can do myself. I have a ton of rs232 connectors, ir emitters, etc. is any of this compatible? Might it be with irule, or some other app-based control system?

Ps. Anybody want a used RTI XP8? Nothing wrong with it except the programming!:eek:
What all are you needing to control? Receiver (i am assuming it is a Yamaha which can use IP), set top box, Blu-ray? If you like using your ipad to control your system you will love Roomie Remote.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What all are you needing to control? Receiver (i am assuming it is a Yamaha which can use IP), set top box, Blu-ray? If you like using your ipad to control your system you will love Roomie Remote.
I've been looking at the Roomie remote, and like what I've seen so far. We're going to get some bids for competing systems (Control4, Savant, perhaps others). Our current needs are modest, but we may want to incorporate some more systems including cameras, lights, HVAC. Any idea how well roomie remote will scale up to handle a more complex setup than just a media room and game room?

I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but I also hate the idea of having to get an installer to come out for every little change I want to make to my system!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To the person who PM'd me about this...

I don't have enough posts to PM you back, but the answer is no, I don't have any RTI remotes to sell. Just the XP8.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Going from RTI to Roomie remote will be like going from a BMW to a dodge Neon.You might as well do a Harmony remote.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Going from RTI to Roomie remote will be like going from a BMW to a dodge Neon.You might as well do a Harmony remote.
Simply not true. If you are good with iOS only control and your Roomie supports your devices, it has one of the best and advanced interfaces out there. I am able to browse, play and record shows on my Dish Hopper DVR. Their integrated TV guide makes searching for shows simple and quick. I also am able to listen to my Sonos connect on my Denon AVR zones as well as my Russound C-Series Multizone amp, all with volume feedback.

I have attached some screenshots of my system.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been looking at the Roomie remote, and like what I've seen so far. We're going to get some bids for competing systems (Control4, Savant, perhaps others). Our current needs are modest, but we may want to incorporate some more systems including cameras, lights, HVAC. Any idea how well roomie remote will scale up to handle a more complex setup than just a media room and game room?

I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but I also hate the idea of having to get an installer to come out for every little change I want to make to my system!
Here is the honest answer; while Roomie is amazing for audio/video it is still limited on what it can do for home automation. This is not only due to the Roomie software but that their is no "automation hub" with an API that has all the features of say Control4.

The best automation hub to use with Roomie is either Lutron Smart Bridge Pro or Lutron Radio RA2. With Lutron you can control lights and shades through Roomie. Right now Roomie only supports Nest for HVAC (I have been trying to push for Honeywell Wifi). Roomie supports a ton of cameras, you just have to look at the compatibility on their site.

It was never totally about the money for me when it came to deciding whether to purchase a dealer-only system vs. using Roomie, iRule or Command Fusion. I just did not want to feel trapped and have to call and pay for a dealer to make a small change every time I added a new device or wanted something to act different.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was never totally about the money for me when it came to deciding whether to purchase a dealer-only system vs. using Roomie, iRule or Command Fusion. I just did not want to feel trapped and have to call and pay for a dealer to make a small change every time I added a new device or wanted something to act different.
That is precisely my issue as well. When the RTI worked, I liked it fine but for our lack of a physical remote with buttons (which I understand we could have purchased). But my inability to alter anything on my own just grated on me over time, and my installer's lack of interest in continuing support didn't help.

We will see how we feel after meeting with some installers of other systems, but right now I'm thinking the Roomie is the way for us to go. I've seen a Lutron-based Launchport ipad sleeve with five assignable hard buttons for common functions that seems like it could be a good way to address the ios-only limitation of the system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts