1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recorded something to my RTV this morning from Line 1 and at some point

the power light began flashing and has been flashing ever since. I've

pulled the plug for 20 second and plugged it back in but the light just

continues to flash. This problem started around 10:00AM PST April 23, 2003.

I am wondering if anyone else has is experiencing a similar problem? The

unit was purchased on June 23 and I've had no problems until today. I get

no picture nor any information/messages on screen from the box.

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

--

-Steve

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Very likely a bad hard drive. I had the same problem and went with RMA since I was on warranty. If you are out of warranty then try putting in a new drive yourself else go the RMA route. Look for rtvpatch utility or the FAQ for info on putting in a new drive if you go that route.

It's also possible you have a bad motherboard or other problem, but it's most likely a bad drive.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Unplug it overnight. You should see "Please Wait..." when its powered on. If you don't there may be a blown fuse on the power supply or defective motherboard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, just to follow up, I called SB 800 support number and much to my

surprise (given what I've read here) they picked up immediately. The tech

was a woman who was very polite and asked me to more or less go through the whole "are you sure all of your cables are connected correctly". I explained the blinking light and after humoring her by trying some of her suggestions she gave me a case number and an address to return the box for a "new one" all under warrantee which end on June 23. (woo hoo!)

Well, I was really curious about what had happened so I did the whole wait awhile and try again and eventually the box did finally boot. By this time it was out of my stereo cabinet and on my dinning room table about ready to be boxed for shipping. I decided to plug it in for "one last go" and it actually booted and the red power light stayed on solid. I then reconnected the box to the TV and tried forcing a net connect which failed many times. I then thought of the fact that I connected the ethernet cable _after_ turning the box on. So I unplugged the RTV then simply plugged it back in at which point it booted and then net connect worked. Now the curious thing was that the channel guide was completely blank. All of the channels were there but no shows were listed. My previously recorded shows were still available to watch even when the net connect failed.

I'm now I'm back to "normal" but I'm still wondering what really happened

and whether or not I should still return the box.

Lastly, my experience on the phone was very typical support from a very

friendly tech who had no problem with providing me the information to have

warrantee work performed. Additionally, the phone call was followed up by

an email detailing the entire support contact with all of the information

necessary for me to return the box. All in all, I was very very pleased

with this level of support. I'm really curious now if I were to return the

box if in fact I would get a new one or a refurbished one.

-Steve

·
Registered
65 Posts
This matches almost exactly to what happened to me a couple weeks ago. I thought at first that mine related to having ethernet unplugged as well, but it started failing with it unplugged as well...

My money would be on it being a corrupted and possibly bad HD. I suspect you could fix it yourself by re-imaging with RTVPatch, but it'd probably be safer to just make a warranty claim in the off chance that it is something else. Regardless, I wouldn't bet on it getting better. If you experience is anything like mine, you'll have really intermittant (but generally negative) luck booting, net connecting, etc. Mine would also appear to be ok for a while but be in the "Please wait", blinking power light mode when I'd come home from work.

YMMV...

Daniel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.