AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, my Replay 5040 has been randomly dropping signal, declaring "Video Signal Not Detected". My setup allows me to view digital cable either through the Replay, or directly to the TV, so I have verified that the signal quality isn't degrading when this happens. The only solution seems to be unplugging the Replay for 5-30 minutes, then letting it reboot.

Tech support has had me doing everything from "resetting the channel guide" (he didn't tell me it was a factory reset; I hadn't watched a show I recorded the night before), to unplugging and re-seating cables, to booting the Replay with the IR Blaster cable unplugged (??). Nothing seems to have solved it, so they are going to let me RMA it.

Two problems.

First, they don't cross-ship. I had no problem RMAing my old Showstopper, because Panasonic was happy to cross-ship. I gave them my credit card, they sent the replacement, I sent mine back in the same box, with a postage-paid label. Okay, companies don't like to cross-ship any more, for some reason. I can deal.

But apparently, I have to pay the postage to send my unit to them, as they won't send me a prepaid label. What the heck kind of warranty replacement is that?

So, before I shell out some non-recoverable cash that I can't afford right now, has anybody else run into this problem before, and if so, is there a (non warranty-voiding) workaround or fix? Thanks lots.

·
Registered
35 Posts
does your video inputs do the same thing, or is it just the coax input? if so, try getting a coax to rca converter from radio shack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I set the thing up to use my cable box's coax output this morning, so we'll see if that helps. If so, it'll be fun to figure out whether I need to replace the Replay (still) or the cable box. :p Didn't have this problem with the same cable box and my old Showstopper, but then again, I didn't have this problem with the new Replay for more than two months after buying it, either.

Drive space on this Replay's never gotten below five hours free, so I'm not sure whether it could be a space issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same thing is happening to me now. I can play recorded shows, I can surf the channel guide, etc etc, but Live TV simply does not work anymore....

::sigh::

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, it turns out my "24" record channel was somehow corrupted. I figured this out because as I went to play it back it errored out and it showed a message I'd never seen before ..something to the effect of "This show doesn't contain any video, audio, data...." blah blah...some other stuff.

As soon as I deleted 24, TV started working again.

I love debugging TV!!!!! :cool: :cool:

So, you might have the same problem? Try playing back all your recorded shows, does one of them fail? Maybe that's it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I too started having this exact same problem yesterday morning but I hadn't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet. My symptoms are the same, I can view the channel guide, recorded shows, menu, etc., everything but live TV. I figured my s-video cable went bad.

Thanx for the heads-up. I'll check it out tonite and see if that is indeed the problem. If it is, that's really weird that one corrupted show would prevent you from watching live TV. This should go in the FAQ under troubleshooting.

-Skip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.