AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird problem, new (to me) in the last couple of months: one of my two stock RTV 5ks is always 1-2 minutes fast. The result is that I get the last 1-2 minutes of the previous show and lose the last 1-2 mins of the show I want. I can't use the "extend" feature, as I have subsequent recordings on other channels. Even if I do a manual Net Connect (and it shows a sync with the NTP server), the result is the same.

Anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Unless the unit has not been able to connect in a long time, the Replay time is rarely in error. It is almost always a provider issue. Replays reset their time every day. Under 411 zones, when was the last net connect?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have the same problem but with a Replay 5040 that is 4 min fast. I've rebooted, cleared the channel guide and forced a reconnect but it hasn't changed the offset from http://www.time.gov/ . When I force a reconnect there is a long pause while it says "setting clock" could it be having a problem syncing and skipping that step? The only mod to my replay is the custom IR blaster code for the DirectTV receiver.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/11769011

Anyone having clock (or other weird) problems should check to see if their unit has a Daylight Saving Time (DST) or "Summer Time" setting...prob. part of the clock-setting routine/menu. This is esp. important if connected to a cable or sat. box.

If so, turn it off and see if it helps.

Great advice, but totally farking useless.

Do you actually even own a ReplayTV?

Seems pretty obvious from your post that you don't. In fact it sounds like you've never even used one. Or at the very least, you've never set one up and never looked at the setup and config menus.

There is no such "DST option". Officially, there is no such thing as a clock-set menu (The only exception would be if you have installed Flip Flop's hacked clockset version of the RTV-O/S v.3 installed on an RTV-2k/3k/ss - this is not an official release though, it's not even from ReplayTV it's a user hack).

The DST setting of your RTV is automatically dictated by your zipcode. The clock is set automatically on each connect. That's it. There are no manual settings to which you speak of.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/11768940

Hi,

I have the same problem but with a Replay 5040 that is 4 min fast. I've rebooted, cleared the channel guide and forced a reconnect but it hasn't changed the offset from http://www.time.gov/ . When I force a reconnect there is a long pause while it says "setting clock" could it be having a problem syncing and skipping that step? The only mod to my replay is the custom IR blaster code for the DirectTV receiver.

Thanks,

Don

Clearing the channel guide won't do anything for a clock error.

Have you made any network changes like a new router, new dsl/cable modem?

Under the 411-ZONES screen, what does your unit show as the date of last succuessful netconnect?

BTW, just an FYI: when you're in the 243-ZONES menu, if all you want to do is force the clock update, you can choose "Check for new software" - which only performs only the first three steps of a netconnect: Subscription verification, timeset and software version check.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/11772262

Continuing to be "farking useless," Replay TV has reprogrammed for the new DST rules and has provided an instruction for updating their units to the new DST programming.

Their instruction sheet says: "ReplayTV has provided updates to accommodate this change, but the change will not occur automatically."

That instruction is provided here, for anyone who wants to use it.

Old news.

Oh, that's right, you don't own a replaytv, you wouldn't know about that.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow /forum/post/11776014

I see rm rf has been taking his fiber (in the wrong end).

POWER to the noobs!

'cow, you're making about as much sense as the dolt who swooped into the thread and started babbling about checking and manually adjusting the DST setting on their RTV. Yup, adjust a setting that you can't control, in a menu that doesn't exist.

Is your level of comprehension about what's being discussed as piss-poor as his too? Posting invalid DST advice when people are talking about 1-4 minue errors.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
>>one of my two stock RTV 5ks is always 1-2 minutes fast. The result is that I get the last 1-2 minutes of the previous show and lose the last 1-2 mins of the show I want. I can't use the "extend" feature, as I have subsequent recordings on other channels When I force a reconnect there is a long pause while it says "setting clock" could it be having a problem syncing and skipping that step?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzStomper /forum/post/12817582

I have exactly the same problems - my 5K is about 30sec-1min fast, and it sits at the "setting clock" for a long time before doing the rest of the updates. The rest of the net connect works fine - the guides & zones update properly.

It really looks like it is timing-out trying to set the clock.. Could it be using some strange port for this that I need to open on my firewall?

NTP is on port 123, the rtv's connect to ntp-production.replaytv.net.

Check your DNS settings on your RTV's along with your firewall.

If you're running WiRNS, make it known here and someone who is more familiar with WiRNS might be able to help you.

Just noticed that wabjxo deleted his/her posts. What a douce-nozzle.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzStomper /forum/post/12817582

...it sits at the "setting clock" for a long time before doing the rest of the updates. The rest of the net connect works fine - the guides & zones update properly.

It really looks like it is timing-out trying to set the clock...

It probably is...

"Setting the Clock..." *DOESN'T* If the DNS Lookup Fails - #37 (Thanks empyle!
)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for all the great info, but the problem turned out to be my Lingo VOIP router..

I entered the OpenDNS.com IP addresses as the DNS servers for my Replay, its wireless access point, and my Netgear router - but the Replay still timed out setting its clock. On a whim I set the router to forward TCP/UDP port 123 to the Replay's IP, but that didn't work either.

My Netgear router connects to a Lingo VOIP router, which connects to my cable modem. In the VOIP router's config I have the Netgear router set as its DMZ server. However, somehow the VOIP router is blocking the Replay's clock update.

When I took the VOIP router out of the loop & plugged the Netgear router directly into the cable modem and rebooted everything, the Replay clock updated fine. Then I put things back the way they were & rebooted, and the Replay clock udpate timed out.

I thought setting the Netgear router as the VOIP's DMZ server would cause all non-VOIP traffic to be sent to the Netgear router, but apparently not..

So I'll just have to go through this process every few months to make sure my Replay clock stays updated. Which is slightly annoying but not a big hassle..

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
To spell it out..

The rtv clock is cpu cycle based which makes the replaytv clock drift, one way or the other, between 0 and 45 seconds a day (guestimate, someone might know more accurate figures)). Using 20 seconds a day as a baseline that would be 10 minutes a month. That would suck.

One thing to check is the settings in your VOIP router again. I believe I've had one of those that CHANGED BACK settings I've made. I'll never figure that one out because that voip router is no longer in my life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Forgive me, I am not as tech-savvy as others in this forum. My RTV 4352 (and 5040 and 5080) is running about 1:20 minutes fast as confirmed through DVArchive and my atomic clock. When I do a net connect, it hangs for a long time at "setting the clock," and I understand that this is due to an error of some kind with the DNS server (whatever that is). On my Replays I have manually set my replaytv IP at 192.168.1.45, subnet at 255.255.255.0 and gateway, dns1 and dns2 at 192.168.1.1. How do I correct this dns and get the clock setting again?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
DNS is being supplied by the router, which got it from the cable/dsl provider. If the provider has changed DNS servers, reboot the router to make it acquire the new server info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.