Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyo,

I've had my RTV 5040 for a couple of weeks now. I don't have a home network, but I'd like to download recorded programs to my PC. I've dealt with networks before (and I actually work with them) so in that respect I'm fairly knowledgeable.

Here's what I tried to do:

Set computer NIC to 10.10.1.1 / 255.255.255.0 / Default GW 10.10.1.1

Set RTV5040 to 10.10.1.2 / 255.255.255.0 / Default GW 10.10.1.1

Since I don't have a home network, and the RTV and PC are on opposite sides of the room, I had to unplug the RTV and carry it over to the PC. Plugged in RTV power. Attached crossover cable between ethernet port on RTC5040 and PC NIC, but PC doesn't see anything connected and doesn't ping the RTV IP address. Physical connection light is on on RTV, but no lights lit on PC NIC even though WindowsXP shows NIC is functioning correctly.

Questions: Did unplugging the power on the RTV cause it to "lose" its IP settings? Do I absolutely have to use a switch between devices, even though RTV's Website claims you can use a crossover cable between PC and RTV? Is it just a bad crossover cable?

TIA!

CC

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Save yourself a lot of time, go buy a long crossover cable!

The crossover wiring should have the white-green, green, white-orange, and orange wires swapped on different ends of the cable if the aren't it's not crossover. THere are also adapters which can be used to swap the wires on a normal cat-5 patch cable.

But... the replay shouldn't loose it's settings if you disconnect and reconnect if you are set up as manual config. Did you search here for the thread on crossover setup? I know it's been discussed.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It sounds to me like you did everything correctly, but do you still have the modem enabled? I didn't think you could have the Ethernet port and modem enabled at the same time, but I'm not sure to tell the truth.

If the modem isn't the issue, I would suggest checking that crossover cable, because everything else sounds correct.

If the cable checks out OK, I'd try switching your PC to 10mb/Half Duplex. If you work on networks, you probably know that there are all kinds of compatability problems out there between 100mb / full duplex. 10/half is usually rock solid.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to switch from modem to network in order to enter the static IP addresses. The weird thing was, I'd put them in, then it'd say "Checking network..." then it would give me the option of either Automatic Configuration or Manual Setting. When I select Manual setting, it would go back to the screen where IP addresses were entered. I'd enter them again. Wash, rinse, repeat. After doing it twice I could press the EXIT button,then go down to the Network Settings selection and see the options there. I just don't know why I seemed to be in a loop.

I guess I'll try making/buying a long crossover cable. I'll let you know how it turns out.

CC

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I discovered the problem was the onboard NIC, and I installed a PCI NIC and now I can ping the RTV.

The problem now is, DV Archive doesn't see the RTV; when I try to Open it in File > Open DVR, it doesn't connect.

I've updated my PC's clock to reflect the same time as the RTV.

This is a 5040 running a crossover to the PC NIC. Any help anyone could offer would be much appreciated -- I'm running low on record room on the RTV and I'd like to save some of this stuff to my PC.

CC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.