AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting this as a new thread from the message "My 12 hours of ReplayTV HELL.." ...

Quote:
My way of getting around that was to buy a cheap timer to do a hard reboot every 24 hours...
I'm sorry, I too am a staunch ReplayTV supporter and I am rooting for DNNA to bring it to its full potential, but this quote just blew my mind.

billsincl is just doing whatever it takes to make it work (all power to him) but what kind of messed up state is this in when he had to buy-a-timer-to-reboot-the-unit-every-24-hours in order to make it work as advertised?

If that isn't determination to stick with a problematic piece of consumer electronics I don't know what is.

He deserves a medal for that kind of perseverance.

Hey, we should start a "RTV Medal of Honor Award" for outstanding perseverance in the face of overwhelming circumstances.

I'll make a new thread - Moderator, let's make it sticky at the top :D

billsincl is this week's winner for sure ... unless someone knows a more deserving case ... ?

Maybe we should award a prize for the winner ...

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Hey, we're so addicted to Replay that we'll go any lengths to make it work. There are 8,000,000 stories in the naked Replay, this has been but one of them.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
...There are 8,000,000 stories in the naked Replay, this has been but one of them.
BB, you're dating yourself. I had no idea you were an old guy like me...what % of the folks here wil have any idea what that refers to?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I vote for both billsincl as the Metal of Persistence winner this week and BaysideBas as Trivia Master of the Day .

Additionally I will offer up toots for the lifetime title of Grand Cramudgen

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
BB, you're dating yourself. I had no idea you were an old guy like me...what % of the folks here wil have any idea what that refers to?
Many will recognize it but few will know from where. I had to do a google search to properly place it.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
Well you know... dating yourself is better than dating a cow? http://www.synmoo.com/blog/Pivot/extra/emot/e_73.gif

However the best match I could find for that is some movie from 1948. That it? Don't believe I've seen it. In that case... we're talkin prehistoric geezers here. Are your grandchildren married yet?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I am wondering if the modem lock-up bug actually caused someone to go out and subscribe to broadband internet service and setup a home network to boot... That would get my vote.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I always thought Mikeyboy's (and correct me if I'm wrong) removing and replacing the modem chip on an old unit went pretty far. Especially since (and again my memory is fuzzy on this) the first real try was on a perfectly good unit. I know this solved problems on a bunch of old units (and still does), but that's going pretty far to keep a Replay up and running.

Also, anyone (and especially the first) person to build up a Linux machine so their old units that can't dial in (for any reason) can get guide information.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
However the best match I could find for that is some movie from 1948. That it?
You didn't look far enough. "Naked City (60 minutes) (10-12-60 to 9-11-63, ABC)" from: http://www.networksplus.net/caseyguy/Naked60.htm . Still old, but not 1948 old. :D

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
It was first a movie, then , years later a gritty cop show. The real trivia question is "What famous NY street name was misspelled in an episode title?"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.