AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a rtv 5080 and I like it except the remote sucks! I have to be like within 2-3 inches of the unit for it to work.

I even tried copying some buttons to a programable remote, still not much of a difference.

I hope that there is a way around this or you guys know something to do the trick. Otherwise this goes back to the store.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would try cleaning the transmitter glass on the remote and the receiving glass on the the Replay unit. This is not normal. They shoud operate across the room. If that does not clear it up, take it back.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
The fact that you are experiencing the same problem with a universal remote tells me that in fact you may have a hardware problem.

This type of problem with receiving IR signals was more common with the 5xxx series, but I think there is a good chance you need to take your unit back.

Try again with fresh batteries and making sure there are no obstructions near the IR receiver. If that doesn't work, I'd then do a factory reset (lose all setting and recordings). Finally, I'd take it back where I bought it!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
How's the lighting around ReplayTV?

Ever since I switched to full spectrum lighting in my living room (a couple weeks ago)....my remotes have trouble working, also affects my VCR which sits on top of my ReplayTV...though today was the first time I tried to use since New Years (when I wanted to watch the ball drop live rather than delayed by 3 seconds).

The Dreamer.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I've read flurecent lights can mess with the IR signals and had some experiences that support that claim.

But this guy said he had to get 3" close to the replay.. my bad flurecent experiences happend at about 6 feet.

what kinda lighting (florecent, halogen, incadecent..etc) setup do you have Dreamer?

cow

·
Registered
556 Posts
Is there anything obstructing the line of sight from the remote to the replay? Is the unit in a entertainment center behind glass? some glass can actually block IR signals or significantly diminish them.. id make sure that there are no obstruction no matter how benign

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
what kinda lighting (florecent, halogen, incadecent..etc) setup do you have Dreamer?
65W 5000K Compact Florescent. The fixture is a couple of feet from my RTVs as well.

I plan to change the fixture back to something similar to the old one...the new one has a lot more down angle than the old fixture...so it is putting a lot more light onto the front of my RTVs.

The Dreamer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.