AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent several hours in recent days searching and reading various threads here on burning VCD's and DVD's with RePlayTV mpegs. Very useful and informative.

HOWEVER, eveyone seems to be doing these tasks from a very different perspective than I. Most (all?) seem to be interested in making permanent discs of various video files; whereas I am interested in making discs (primarily using DVD-RW) for TEMPORARY storage.

Why does this make a difference? Well, here's my situation. I have 2 4500's and a total of 400GB of storage where I store time-shifted TV shows (using the fabulous DVArchive). You might think 400GB is enough. but it ain't for me. There are documentaries etc (like Ken Burns "Civil War") that I will eventually watch, but perhaps not for months.

I'd like to "archive" such shows to free up room on my hard drives for more recording. Here's the rub: it looks like a LOT of work and time to move RTV mpegs to VCD or DVD since I want to lower the resolution to fit, say, 6 hours per DVD -- likely too much work when I plan to eventually erase them anyway.

So my question is: would I be a fool to do all that just to temporarily store shows off the hard drives? I'd love to pop in a disc into my DVD player and watch these shows and then erase them, but I've have to do ALL those steps! Perhaps given the cost of blank DVD-RW's and of hard dirives, I'd be better off to simply buy yet another hard drive (.....and then another, and another :)) OR even to move these shows to a 6 hr VCR tape (I have SVHS).

What do you experienced experts think??

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well, I'm certainly NOT an expert like others on this board, but here's my 2 cents...

Think about getting a Memorex DVD player from Target.. I can;t remember the model number, but it is the low profile one...

You can put medium and high quality files directly onto a DVD-RW and play them back on this player... it isn;t perfect through...the video DOES get blocky and audio jumps once in a while... these are generally few and far between...3-10 in a 1 hour show...only a sec each... but they are definitely watchable if you don;t want to spend the time to burn a tru DVD Video disk...

The only limitation is that it can only take files that are

·
Registered
190 Posts
Given the price of the disks, time necessary to compile and burn images, writing labels, cataloging and storing, and all the other nitnoy details in burning DVDs, I would really have to say that more hard disks makes a lot of sense.

I have two DVD burners, both Pioneers, with which I burn DVD-Rs for later viewing and storing. I have three 4532 RTVs and a file server with over 600 Gb. It was much easier and more cost effective building a file server running DVArchive and adding drives when necessary. That way there are no compression artifacts from trying to squeeze onto the disks, commercial advance still works, deleting files afterwards is not a big deal and the archive streams over the Replay network. The other benefit is I'm not making coasters anymore. It didn't happen often because we have a tried and proven technique but still the occasional failure does happen.

The other factor, more important to me, is the amount of time it takes to making the DVDs compared to installing a drive just once.

Hard disks are cheap, too.

My two pieces of copper...

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
With DVArchive only getting better, I definitely vote for more hard disk space. I'd seriously consider getting a cheap computer and a hard disk controller that can handle up to 4 or more disks beyond the controller on the motherboard (or just buy a new motherboard that can control up to 8 IDE devices). Then at about $1 per GB you're just about set.

Have fun!

Tim

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the input. You've confirmed my gut feel.

Unfortunately, I just bought a DVD burner a couple of weeks ago to archive these timeshifted TV shows, but now I see it ain't worth it (but I can use the burner anyway).

I have enough "spare" computer parts laying around here that I can cobble together a "Video Server" for my network and just keep buying more hard drive space as I need it. I guess I never really thought that HD space is cheaper than DVD-RW blanks! I was thinking I could get 6 hours of VCD quality video on a disc (kinda like a VHS tape but more convenient) and offload that way, but now I see that the re-encoding required ain't worth it. DVArchive works so well (better than leaving shows on the RTV even if there were space) that a Video Server with tons of ahrd drive space is a practical solution (thanks again Gerry).

·
Registered
535 Posts
HD space is not cheaper than DVD-R media - one can get DVD-RW for 1$ shipped each with 4.5Gb space. What is correct that you dont need to burn playable DVD, you could have just burn data DVD's at 22cents per GB. With rebates and pricematches one can get HDD's for about 40$ per 120GB, which is 33cents per GB, but not easy to pull off.

Video server is nice, but if HDD fails you will lose all the data on it, with DVD-RW you lose only 4.5GB at the time (however the reliablity of the DVD-RW is somewhat low too).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
HD..... space is not cheaper than DVD-R media - one can get DVD-RW for 1$ shipped each with 4.5Gb space.
Well, I'm new to this DVD-RW game. I bought a 3-pak at CompUSA, which may not have the cheapest prices, but they should not be *that* far out of line. They cost me about $7.50 each! I hear some DVD-RW blanks can be slow to burn or are unreliable.

I'm amazed that there is a 1:7.5 ratio in price on these things. At $1 per disc, maybe I become interested again; simply, as you suggest, to store raw RTV mpegs. I've considered the "lose it all" with a hard drive failure scenario you mention, and that was one reason I wanted to go DVD. Of course, since I watch everything off DVArchive now, I've always had that risk (a vanilla RTV also has the same risk of course).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.