AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the subject explains it all.... The unit won't respond to its original remote nor will it respond to my old 2000 series remote. The only way I am able to control it is over ethernet with one of the several computer programs out there. After several calls to tech support I was issued an RMA number and told to send the unit back (they told me they no longer will send out a replacement unit prior to recieving the damaged unit).

I remember seeing posts about similar issues in the past, so before I send the unit out i figured i would post here. Is it at all possible that this is a software related issue that will fix itself once my unit recieves 5.1? (if so is there any chance I could be added to the beta program to see if the new software helps?) Alternatively, are there any other "tricks" I can try other than the ones Tech support already told me to do (soft and hard resets, unplugging the IR blaster, which didn't apply since i don't use one.... unplugging all the cables from the unit for about ten minutes.. and resetting the remote codes)

Thanks,

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
What do the blaster and remote codes have to do with the Replay remote? Not much....

If you have two remotes, and neither one works, it could be an IR receiver failure... without new hardware, it may need to go back. The only other thing I'd say is to get a new remote and test it with that. An inexpensive universal remote is the OFA 8910 where VCR code 0616 is the Replay device.

I'm surprised support assumed it's the RTV and not the remote, unless you have another RTV to test the remote on... (do you have a 2000 to prove the 2000 remote is good?)

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I'd try the unplug everything let it sit for ten minutes (pressing the power button to discharge any stored juice helps too).

Plug it all back in. Does anything work?

The remotes both work with the older replay? I'd replace the batteries even if you KNOW the batteries are good.

Do the LEDs and power button on the replay work correctly? If not there could be a loose connection with the cable connecting the board in the faceplate with the motherboard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know if there is any technical reason or if it is coincidence but I was having a similar issue and removed the network cable during a 10 minute "unplugged" session. This was my third "unplugged" session and the first without a network cable - it did work but again I don't know why. If you are still grasping you might want to give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
As was said by Jeff above, you should unplug EVERY cable when you are trying to dry out the box electrically. You want all residual power to be gone, and sometimes network and other cables can still keep some stuff alive when connected.

Unplug everything. This means make it so you can carry the box 100' down the hall! :D Then, hit the power switch several times to drain other internal capacitors, etc.

Wait ten minutes, plug it all back in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I tried it again.... this time keeping it completely unplugged about 30 - 45 minutes. No luck. Jeff, both the power button and LED are functional.. Both remotes successfully control my RTV2020.

jalanmac..... well, if three times was the charm for you, perhaps I'll give it another go tommorw.

Thanks all for the suggestions.... I really don't want to send the thing back to Replay and be without one for two weeks (I lent my old 2020 to a friend).

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I'm not trying to tell you to stop exhausting your possibilities of solutions, but I've seen several posts at different times expressing problems with the IR reciever in 5xxx replays. The post that stuck out most was one by a guy who said the company that made the IR recievers for Replays make all of their stuff crapily. Since then I've seen a post, here and there, telling that their IR recievers dont work.. they sounded just like you.

So don't beat yourself up. Try everything you can think of OFF HAND then RMA that puppy if none of it works.

cow

·
Registered
19 Posts
My remote stopped responding for a while, but it turned out to be that the IR blaster plug was not seated properly. It looked like it was, but it wasn't. Try unplugging the IR blaster completely and see if it makes any difference. If this doesn't work, you probably have a busted infrared receiver in the relay unit.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Again, what does the blaster (signals from the RTV to the sat/cable box) have to do with the RTV remote working on the RTV itself?!

Anyway, looks like all the easy answers are out. The remotes work elsewhere, complete reboot doesn't do it. Cow may be right..... there have been reports of boxes with extremely reduced reception range from remotes, and, of course, some are actually broken.

If one more power-drain doesn't do it (and I doubt it wiil), I vote for RMA, as painful as that may be sometimes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What does the IR blaster have to do with the remote control?

Its a good question. I do not know exactly what but I could easily describe some possible scenarios.

First of all, the FAQ notes that the IR blaster plug not being in right as a possible cause of the remote control not working. But why should that matter?

If I were desgining the board in the replay unit, I would probably use a commercially available infrared chip. Just looking at a few data sheets on the web, most of these devices can control both receive and transmit operation. The remote control IR port on the front of the replay unit can only receive, so what do you do with the transmit signals from the IR controller device? Why not use them for the IR blaster which is transmit only.

Still looking at a representative data sheet (SMSC CAM35C44), the transmit and receive signals have a common control line which sets the direction of the transfer. This probably is wired to both the receiver and IR blaster port. If the IR blaster plug is not plugged in all the way, it can short out signals on connector (standard problem with mini plugs), thus disrupting both IR blaster and remote control operation.

I don't know that this is it, but the next time I have the box open, I'll trace out the wires to see.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Ah, okay, you theorize that there's one IR chip, it does transmit and receive, and if the blaster plug is loose, it could be shorting it. Interesting. Can you supply the FAQ link to where it mentions that? I looked at the whole 'remote control' section, searched on 'remote control', and searched on 'blaster' and didn't see what you are referring to. (Not saying it's not there.)

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Got it from your link, thanks! I never thought there was anything much on that site. Perhaps recently they've been putting a lot more out there. Definitely the first part of that is the best test: unplug the blaster and then try the remote.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
No, since cable only boxes (and I have one) don't need/use it. I think it's most likely a bad IR receiver and you need to use the RMA. (Heck, getting an RMA's hard sometimes, and they gave you one! That should tell you something! :) )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.