AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Situation: I am attempting to help a friend recover some shows from a crashed RTV hard drive. The drive is a Maxtor 160GB

Setup: I removed drive from RTV and installed it as a slave on my pc. Upon bootup the drive is recognized as a MAXTOR Secondary Slave.

I first ran RTV_Extract to see if any files were displayed. RTV_Extract did not recognize the hard drive.

Then I ran RTV_Patch and received the following error messages:

0) QUANTUM FIREBALL EX6.4A - (6 GB) - May be PC Disk

1) Maxtor 4A160J0 - (136 GB) - NOT a ReplayTV Disk

Source: 1) Maxtor 4A160J0 - ( 136GB ) - NOT a ReplayTV Disk

Target: Select a drive from the list and click 'Set'

RTVPatch version 2.4, built on Jan 19 2003, 12:54:57

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive0 (QUANTUM FIREBALL EX6.4A) : Detected size = 12594960 sectors

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive1 (Maxtor 4A160J0) : Using binary search drive size detection

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive1 (Maxtor 4A160J0) : There appears to be a seek overflow problem on this drive, interesting!

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive1 (Maxtor 4A160J0) : Detected size = 267386880 sector

There is an overflow issue- is this fatal? If not, what should I do??

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
197 Posts
Your BIOS and/or drivers do not recognize the drive - it should report back MORE than the 134G... do not do anything with that drive/PC combo until you get the proper drivers/BIOS... you will have no success on repair or recovery in the present configuration.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks-good call. I am running a 200GB drive on my primary computer that has an ATA board to handle the oversize drives. I guess I will put the RTV drive on my primary computer to see if there is any data.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Getting the whole drive recognized is the first step. Get that problem solved first.

Next, it looks like the partition table or first partition is toast as well, because RTVPatch is claiming it is not a replaytv drive. As I recall, RTVPatch really only needs the proper partitions in place to call it a replay drive, which is why I think the partition table is toast. I would do the following steps:

1) use the RTVPatch "backup source drive" option to make a backup of the system partition (it just makes an image of the first 500MB of the drive). This way you can at least get back where you started.

2) next copy a good image onto the system partition using the RTVPatch "restore target drive" option.

3) Set the photo partition size to the smallest number

4) Do the patch operation, and answer "yes" to the format mpeg partition question. Sounds destructive, but it really only changes the root directory, and you don't need that to recover.

5) Run "extract_rtv -p2 -u" to get a list of the files on the drive

6) Run "extract_rtv -p2 -e nnnnnnn.mpg" for each file you want to recover. If you know the date of the recording, you can compute what the nnnnnnn value is, to narrow down your search.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok...just put RTV drive into another pc that can support large drives. The MAXTOR 4A16... is the RTV drive. Here is the log:

0) Empty - () -

1) Maxtor 6Y200P0 - (203 GB) - May be PC Disk

2) Maxtor 4A160J0 - (163 GB) - NOT a ReplayTV Disk

Source: 2) Maxtor 4A160J0 - ( 163GB ) - NOT a ReplayTV Disk

Target: Select a drive from the list and click 'Set'

RTVPatch version 2.4, built on Jan 19 2003, 12:54:57

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive0 : Identify Command Failed

DriverStatus: bDriverError=0x0, bIDEStatus=0x0

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive0 () : Failed to get drive size

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive1 (Maxtor 6Y200P0) : Using binary search drive size detection

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive1 (Maxtor 6Y200P0) : Detected size = 398297088 sectors

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2 (Maxtor 4A160J0) : Using binary search drive size detection

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2 (Maxtor 4A160J0) : Detected size = 320173056 sectors

The drive is still not recognized as a RePlay drive-so, as FlipFlop has suggested above, it looks like partition1 may be toast.

But before I proceed with his steps, does anyone else see anything?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FlipFlop...

I am not completely sure of what I am doing in Step 2 as you described above. I assume that I need to direct the program to a "good" image. I have downloaded MikeyBoy/Ghoul's image from here:
ftp://ftp.kdhnews.com/

I downloaded the rtv_5040_110.zip file. This file is around 530,000,000- much larger than the file that I backed up in Step 1

As I understand it, I only want to restore the first partition at this time so that I will not destroy any good data on the RTV hard drive.

Can you clarify anything for me?

Many thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
The backup step should have given you a 500MB file too, but it does look at the partition size in the partition table. Since the partition table is messed up, the backup didn't work.

However, if all you are interested in is the MPEG partition, it is safe to just overwrite with MikeyBoy's image, as this will not overwrite any MPEG data. Just go ahead with step 2.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, good news, I think. I had a little hiccup in the process last night. I was not paying close attention, doing 2 things at once, and I reversed the Source and Target drives during the Restore process. Whoops--I created an unbootable primary drive. Fortunately it was on a rarely used computer and the data I lost while reformatting and reinstalling Windows 2000 was not critical.

Ok.. so I ran Steps 3, 4 and 5 above and I am getting shows recorded:

"Valid inode found at ......" This is a huge disk (160GB) so it will take awhile to get full list. After it is done, Step 6 directs me to -e option to recover these files.

My question: If I successfully recover each file, and I then reinstall the RTV hard drive into the unit, will RTV recognize the shows in the Guide?

·
Registered
912 Posts
There is no way to get shows back into a replaytv guide. The best you can hope for is to use extract_rtv to copy them to a PC, and then either play them on the PC, or write to a DVD.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I was afraid of! Anyway, the -u listing came up with 45 shows! I entered the command line

extract_rtv -p2 -u 1049132054.mpg

and got the following message:

This looks like a RePlay 4000 series drive!

Enabling the byte-reversing code

RePlayTV drive detected: \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2

Couldn't find the file 1049132054.mpg

I tried several other of the .mpg files with the same result/

Ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
Oops, sorry, my bad. The instructions were wrong. The -e command only works if the file is listed in the directory. To recover deleted files you have to find the cluster number of the file (which -u will report) and then use the -r [clusternumber] command to extract the file.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Progress! Most of the mpg's have 2 cluster numbers. I used the lower number and it appeared to work. Now, a really basic question: How do I find the mpg? It is on drive that Windows obviously does not recognize!

Also, I have tried to use Extract 1.5 (WIndows GUI) but it does not recognize the RTV hard drive.

Just thought of something lse: it has been sooooo loooong since I have delt with DOS that I have forgotton how to screen print- with 45 shows there are lots of numbers that I would prefer to print from the the results of the -u command.

Thanks so much for your help, FlipFlop. This is a learning experience for me. This projcet (with 45 shows) is getting a little bigger than I want to mess with in its entireity- but I do want to understand the process

·
Registered
912 Posts
The two cluster numbers are because they have redundant copies of the directory clusters. Either one should work. When you use the -r option, it will copy the file into the current directory, so look on your Windows drive for the extracted file, or just do a "dir"

You can redirect the output of the -u command using "extract_rtv -p2 -u > filelist.txt"

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
epilogue: I am in the process of successfully converting all shows. I am able to use VideoLAN to view the mpg2 files. Thanks so very much for your help, FlipFlop.

OK..one last question. Now that I understand Extract, I am trying to get it completely clear in my mind what RTV Patch does. It obviously restored the some corrupted software on the corrupted RTV hard drive-- but I believe it has some other functions, too-perhaps something to do about installing a larger hard drive in the RTV unit. Perhaps it installs the operating software WITHOUT transferring the existing shows from the old small hard drive to the new larger hard drive? Other thoughts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.