AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reviewing faq's but can't find the problem I am encountering. Upon bootup, after entering 'root' the computer responds with # . I am performing this on a Win98SE machine. I can't get past this prompt. Any and all help appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After entering 'root' when booting off of the floppy, the next line has only the pound sign (#) displayed and I am unable to continue. In other words, the upgrade process halts. RTVPatch goes no further. Has anyone overcome this problem. As stated, I'm running the program on a Win98se machine, using rtvpatch 2.4 All help appreciated.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Again, this sounds like you are at a normal Linux command prompt. Have you tried typing in the commands as instructed in steps 14 and 15 of the link I posted above? E.g., type in "RTVPatch" and press enter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks like you are using the UNIX version - root is the account, and # is the prompt for the command shell (you DO remember command shells don't you ) ;-)

If you have win 98, you need to use this, since the GUI is foe Win2K/XP.

Just foolow the instrcustions for the LINUX boot floppy method...

i.e. create the LINUX boot disk, boot it (to get the # prompt), then just enter the command line stuff as found in the instructions (see #13 and onward) (assuming this is a single drive upgrade)

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
No problem. It would seem confusing to most Windows users I'm sure. It is unfortunate than the Windows version of RTVPatch (which is much more user friendly) can only run on Windows 2k/XP for technical reasons. (Though, really it is unfortunate that Win98 ever existed. 2k/XP is a much better OS. I digress.) Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was following the instructions VERY closely and after the 'root' entry they mention a password and then go on to backing up the drive. Then it is mentioned to enter rtvpatch. Also, they could mention the # sign as opposed to > prompt that we have all loved to hate! Thanks for your support. Now I see that a bunch of my recorded shows are gone. What is the easiest way to add the original drive back into the system (as a second drive) to get them back? I also plan to add another 120 or 160 drive (replacing the original, that has the shows on it). Should I (somehow) copy those onto a third drive (while the computer is torn apart) and put that in instead? Really appreciate that you are online and very responsive. Hope to help out others some day, as much as you help out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.