AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined the replaytv world last month and have really enjoyed it. I am now ready to upgrade both of my 5040s with a 160GB HD in each one. I mainly use Macss, but do have one PC. It is a PIII/1 GHz Soyo mobo system. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done.

I know that the mobo does not support drives above 137GB. The drives I bought came with a ATA/133 PCI card. The RTVPatch webpage says not to install any Maxtor utils like MaxBlast. How does one get its computer to see all of the drive w/o using the Maxtor utils? I searched on Maxtor's website and found a driver for the ATA/133 card. If I just install the driver, is this enough for the RTVPatch util to work?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
If I remember correctly... install the card attach the drive. Boot the pc, update the card's drivers and then restart.

After that the PC should be good to go.

Some here will tell you to be using win2k SP3 (or 4?) and that will allow you to see the complete 160GB with the drive on Primary or secondary IDE channels. (I've never done this, so I don't know if it's true...)\\

And Hey, welcome to the group!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I found recently that the latest version of RTV Patch had trouble seeing a drive attached to my PCI adapter card. You may have to download an older version of RTV Patch if you're having issues.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Or get drivers for the PCI card that allow the most recent RTVPatch to work.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I think Lizard's problem was different. The usual problem that can be

solved by new drivers is the drive is recognized by windows as full

capacity but rtvpatch only sees 137GB. This problem can usually be

fixed by new drivers.

Lizard's problem was the drive wasn't recognized at all by rtvpatch and

seemed to be related to how rtvpatch was performing fallback if it's

primary choices for determining drive size failed.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
When I was having the size detection problem last week, I also had RTVPatch first fail to detect the drive at all. Closing and restarting RTVPatch resulted in the drive being detected, wrong size, but it was there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the posts. I went ahead and installed the driver that came with the card. I installed the drive, and Windows saw it as a 160GB drive. I tried both the 2.1.3 beta and the 2.2.4 versions of RTVPatch and both reported the drive as 163GB. I followed the rest of the directions as listed ont he RTVPatch website and now I have 54 hours of high-quality record time available. Woo-hoo!

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
When I was having the size detection problem last week...
We're getting pretty peronal here, no?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
We're getting pretty peronal here, no?
Little blue pill to the rescue! and everything's OK. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
I upgraded to 2 160 GB drives last week and I had not problems at all. I had to install the PCI card first then copy the original drive to the new one. I used the Linux boot disk though, but it is a pretty painless option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.