AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to patch a new hard drive for use in a replay 5000 unit. I have read about the fact that "2.5" is more intuative and less confusing to use, etc.

I simply was curious as to whether it had any technical benefits over "2.4" or made the HD more reliable in the unit. Are there any other benefits, or is it purely intended to simplify and streamline the process of patching a drive?

Also, there seems to be two (or three) versions based on sourceforge.net and some threads I have read on this forum. Which is the very latest and most reliable?

If you can provide a link to it, I would appreciate it!

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! THANKS! :)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

·
Banned
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding! :)

Just to ask another (related) question to clarify my previous question:

If you had a perfectly good upgrade drive running in a 5000, is there any real benefit to re- patching the drive using the newer version of rtvpatch 2.5?

Will the drive be more reliable than previously or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1
If you had a perfectly good upgrade drive running in a 5000, is there any real benefit to re- patching the drive using the newer version of rtvpatch 2.5?

Will the drive be more reliable than previously or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
Answers:

1) No.

2a) No.

2b) Yes.

:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
All of the rtvpatch instructions I've found are for Windows users. Even the "Linux boot disk" method instructions are for Windows users. Are there any Mac OS X-specific or Linux-specific instructions? Or should I use the "Linux boot disk" instructions but just skip the part about making the boot disk? I'm particularly interested in using it on my Mac, but I also have access to a Linux machine.

Thanks,

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.