AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to a bunch of 1/8" rubber sheeting/mats cheap. I was wondering if sandwiching this in-between two sheets of drywall would work for sound deadening etc or should I just stick to green glue??

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Rubber of unknown properties is not a good plan. We know the properties and performance of Green Glue and its damping attributes. The rubber is very, very likely not going to provide any damping. Its contribution to your sound isolation efforts will only be mass. If the rubber is going to cost more per square foot than drywall, there's no sense in paying a premium for just mass.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/16952646

Rubber of unknown properties is not a good plan. We know the properties and performance of Green Glue and its damping attributes. The rubber is very, very likely not going to provide any damping. Its contribution to your sound isolation efforts will only be mass. If the rubber is going to cost more per square foot than drywall, there's no sense in paying a premium for just mass.

Noted. What are your thoughts on a layer of rubber (1/4") thick or more over a concrete floor under the carpet padding? Would it help or not?? I can get

50" x 21" x 1/8" sheets for less than a buck sheet.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Help with what?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrowso /forum/post/16953888

keeping vibrations from transferring to the concrete slab/cutting down on reflection off the floor (I guess carpet and padding alone may suffice)

Are you building a stage? In that case the sub would likely sit on the stage which should be with sand. You could build the stage on the rubber you have. I don't think it will matter much. If you aren't using a stage, feel free to put a couple of rubber layers below your sub. I wouldn't waste money on putting below your carpet.

And for first reflections you answered your own question.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrowso /forum/post/16953888

keeping vibrations from transferring to the concrete slab/cutting down on reflection off the floor (I guess carpet and padding alone may suffice)

It won't do anything for cutting down on reflections off the floor. You're right about carpet and padding.

Frank

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/16954349

Are you building a stage? In that case the sub would likely sit on the stage which should be with sand. You could build the stage on the rubber you have. I don't think it will matter much. If you aren't using a stage, feel free to put a couple of rubber layers below your sub. I wouldn't waste money on putting below your carpet.

And for first reflections you answered your own question.

Thanks for the reply. I will be doing a sand filled stage. Guess I will just skip the rubber then!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts