AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - Quick question... I have a Leviton 47605-28N structured media enclosure and am looking for the rubber/plastic grommets that fit the knockout holes in the top of the enclosure. I've looked everywhere (including Leviton's own website) and they are; either not required, or cannot be found anywhere.
I found something similar on Amazon, but not sure if they will fit properly since they were not specifically designed for that enclosure. Has anyone found one that will work? I'm sure I could hack something, but that's not my first choice solution.

Rick

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
What size holes? You can use ones from other manufactures, check size specs.

ICC grommet:

That one is for a 2" knockout.

http://www.icc.com/p/882/resi-plastic-grommet-10pk

Grommet strip is one option. Check ebay for small quantities.

I did something similar to this, for my Channel Vision enclosure:

The ones I used look like this, just dropped in from the top, held by gravity:

Lots of PVC fitting options at HD/Lowes.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Neurorad. You've given me some great ideas. I had forgotten about the grommet strip. That would be a perfect solution if I can't find some other 'normal' fitting grommets or bushings. I'm making my ~47th trip
to HD tomorrow so will see what they have. All kinds of fun stuff to discover! I did place an order last night at Amazon for the 28" Leviton enclosure, cause I knew the 14" one would get pretty cramped right away. Some other Leviton cabinet accessories too. Still haven't quite figured out how I will use it, but it will be far better than wires falling out of the ceiling in my equipment room (of sorts). I'm designing as I go along.

Rick

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim  /t/1524690/rubber-grommet-for-leviton-structured-media-enclosure#post_24543876

You could also try a chase nipple with an EMT bushing.

Tim
Indeed. Another good suggestion. I'm just curious why Leviton just didn't throw in a few different sized grommets/bushings of some sort, assuming most installations would want a little smoother surface for the wires. How much could a rubber grommet or plastic bushing be? Oh wait, I know! Amazon wanted $4.72/each. I know this is specialty stuff, but really.
Feeling ripped off.

Rick

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim  /t/1524690/rubber-grommet-for-leviton-structured-media-enclosure#post_24544069

Yeah, they give you a piece of self-stick foam that is supposed to be placed over the hole. I bought a different brand (OpenHouse) for another house and it came with a few plastic grommets.

Tim
Maybe Monoprice has grommets!
My son and I are off to a local electrical supply house this morning. I measured the different sized holes on the box and there are 3; 1-3/8", 2", and 2-1/2". I 'm sure I'll find something that'll work.

Rick

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim  /t/1524690/rubber-grommet-for-leviton-structured-media-enclosure#post_24544456

1-3/8 KO is a 1" trade size

2" KO is a 1-1/2" trade size

2-1/2" KO is a 2" trade size

So for the largest KO you need a 2" chase nipple and bushing (or whatever it is you are going to use in that opening)

Tim
I found some 2" metal chase nipples with PVC nuts at HD so I think I'm good to go. Bought 4 just in case.

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts