AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone has posted VERY technical, scientific; nit picked reviews. How about just a big picture over view from New Ruby owners. How are you finding the upgrade and overall picture quality. When walking into the HT and firing it up; is this a new reference level for you all and are you thrilled with your decision to upgrade?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm not nearly as technically savy as most that post to the forum so I can only relate my opinion, which is not supported by hard data! Not having a screen, and at the request of a friend, I took my Ruby to a local HT store and set it up throwing to a 127" diag Firehawk in a light controlled 24x18 room. 4-5 people, all in the HT biz, except me and my wife who reluctantly joined me. Set it down, fired it up, adjusted to the screen, focused it and and played through a series of HD, DVD, SD clips. They were stunned! Nothing but positive comments. "unbelievable picture," "excellent color, resolution, contrast," etc. All I could say was WOW, is this what I've been missing all of these years! My wife had a look on her face like "okay, I guess you got this one right!", she LOVED the picture. I'm picky, but my eyes are not your eyes, we all see what we see, but for me this was the best PJ picture I'd seen (having seen Marantz, Sim2, Runco, and some less expensive PJs (don't ask for models, I have no idea, that's why I say this is only my subjective view. Also, in fairness, they were not being compared side-by-side and that type of comparison might prove me wrong! But I know what I like, and it is the Ruby!!

Jim

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
In my humble opinion, it has everything going for it, bright (right now), contrast, amazing color rendition out of the box. It's super quiet and very easy to setup. Compared to everything I have seen and that includes basically what the above poster saw but including the Qualia 004, the SIM2 C3X, and the Optoma H78. By far this one has the best picture. Its leaps and bounds above what my Hitachi LCOS can do in every area. Don't let people fool you about resolution. It makes a difference, perhaps not as much as you might think but it certainly makes for a nice and sharp image while the LCOS technology gives you a smooth, "nonstressful" image. Good source DVDs look amazing on this projector. I have not had much time to mess with HDTV, but in the coming weeks and months I will be hopefully spending alot more time with those kinds of sources. Uncalibrated the ruby's black level floor is a tad bit lighter IMO to the H78 DLP which I demoed in our theater. But its not that much of a difference and perhaps it can be as dark or darker with an ISF calibration, I don't know. The black level detail is much better on the Ruby than the H78 though. The black level uniformity if you will, is only really noticable in a complete black out for more than 4 or 5 seconds to my eyes. I know its there and it may lower the perceivable contrast from mixed scenes near the corners but it's not a major complaint. The benefits far outweigh the negative(s) especially for a family who are all sensitive to rainbows with DLP single chippers. For the average joe that won't get this projector calibrated, contrast, brightness and color is excellent out of the box and besides the initial setup he would have little to do but enjoy a fabulous image.

I hope this helps you in your decision making process.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Adidadi, I've seen a lot of projectors. Especially recently. So I get kind of numb to seeing new stuff.

However, seeing the Ruby even after 3D Imax 2 hours earlier. I still went Wow! The image is simply stunning. Especially in a totally black room, on the High Power, and fed uncompressed 1080i material ;)

Yes. some scenes from from Moulan Rouge simple came alive like I've never seen before from ANY projector.

Note: I saw the Qualia, C3X, Marantz S4 and Sharp 12k right after Imax 3D and before the Ruby. My brain was calibrated. ;)

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
D-Theater is MPEG-2 compressed too. It's still one of the least compressed sources you can view, given the bit rate. The only readily available consumer source of high definition source of uncompressed "video" I know of are video games.

Anyone try F.E.A.R. on a high end system on their Ruby ? That game scared the hell out of me at times on my 20" monitor... it would be terrifying (and really cool) life size with surround sound.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I love mine.:) It isn't perfect, but it is truly excellent.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg
Yes. some scenes from from Moulan Rouge simple came alive like I've never seen before from ANY projector.

;)
I have to agree with Tryg on this.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Is the misconvergence noticeable if you look for it on anything but a white grid? A lot of times I end up focusing in on part of an image on screen and I'm wondering if you're not taking in the image as a whole are the negatives apparent?

What's Sony's policy on replacements? How much of a convergence problem is considered a true problem (worthy of a replacement unit) by Sony?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I could see red fringing on some scenes at ~1.2 screen widths on Darin's Ruby. His red panel is off by just about 1 pixel vertically.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Moulin Rouge was one of the first I put in and that's when all the WOW stuff started coming out of my mouth!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.