AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Ruby yesterday thanks to my trusted dealer and friend of the forums. Thanks dealer! The box came at 10:25 am and it was hung and shooting 5th Element by 11:30. The easiest install I’ve done bar none. Did you know Bruce Willis has a nose hair problem?


My convergence is fine. No need to talk about white compression, black level, etc. It has been discussed to death elsewhere.


I merely wanted to point out that Sony has knocked one out of the park here. This thing is beautifully designed and so quiet. This is the first projector I’ve owned that does not need a hushbox. I did however make a heat trap that sucks all the hot exhaust air out of the room.


I’ve had a few projectors in the last several years – Yamaha LPX 500, Dwin TV3, JVC HD2K and now the Ruby. Given it’s specs and the amazing picture I think this one will be around for a while.


1080i is the way to go! Maybe someone can explain this to me… I’ve tried 480i from HDTivo and from DV79avi and both looked grainy and noisy. They looked like hell. 1080i out of both look stunning, especially on the DV79avi.


A friend of my son’s brought over his Xbox 360 last night. We fired up a new game called “Condemnedâ€. One of the eeriest games ever and it was awesome to see all the details that couldn’t be seen on the old TV where this Xbox 360 is normally played.


What settings are people using? I’d like to here what people are finding for optimal configs.


https://exchange.ucsf.edu/ht/ruby/ruby1.jpg
https://exchange.ucsf.edu/ht/ruby/ruby2.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,769 Posts
Beautiful!


Now paint your room black and double the performance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tryg - You are so predictable. Dark floor, flat midtone paint, Stewart Luxus Deluxe 100" with a wall of velvet curtains surrounding it is fine. This room is used for wine tasting from the adjoing cellar. Wife won't go for the black.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
Congrats Kraig! Please keep your impressions coming. How does it specifically compare to your HD2k?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thunder - here is the story....


I sold my HD2K a while back in anticipation of the Ruby. I purchased it site unseen. There are JVC reasons that I won't go into here but at the core of this decision was the specs. I just could not ignore the numbers Sony was publishing and at the $10k list price. Even if I took 20-25% fudge factor off the numbers they were still pretty amazing. But as we all know by Greg Rogers and other reviewers the specs were real.


My HD2K was optimized by William Phelps and produced a great picture. With the ND filter CR was measured at 2500:1 which for that unit was great. WM squeezes every little bit out of this projector. IMO the things that were lacking on the HD2K were:


Contrast Ratio

Black level performance

Lumens

Center mounted lense

Noise

Form factor



So how does the Ruby compare in these areas?


Contrast Ratio -

(the specs didn’t lie, never seen this much CR from a digital)


Black level performance –

(excellent, not perfect and far better than the HD2K)


Lumens -

(The Ruby is not a light cannon but considerably brighter than the HD2K, 500 hours on the Xenon will be telling though)


Center mounted lense -

(Makes life much easier for mounting and aligning with the screen)


Noise

(The Ruby is almost silent, no hushbox needed)


Form factor –

(The Ruby is big but is beautiful to look at. Sony knocked one out of the park here. The HD2K wasn’t much to look at. That being said I’d take an ugly projector if it shot the right picture).



JVC is listening. The HD12K is a much better looking, quieter, center mounted lense projector with a more appealing design. Unfortunately the specs don’t compare with the Ruby.




Other areas of comparison:


Smoothness –

Both the Ruby and HD2K’s pictures have been described as smooth and I agree. The difference I see is that the HD2K was softer and the Ruby is both smooth and sharp at the same time. This is the one thing I saw right off the bat with the Ruby that really makes it different.


Adjustments –

The HD2K menus were pretty barebones. The Ruby menus are very complete. The HD2K did not have electronic zoom of vertical adjustments. I never really cared much about these until now that I have them. They are quite useful.



Does this sound like a JVC slam? It shouldn’t. I enjoyed my HD2K for a short time but all good things must end. The Ruby handily beats the HD2K in all categories. I hope JVC can meet the Sony challenge (onslaught). The HD11/12K is a step in the right direction but unfortunately not nearly enough. You have to be an impulse buyer with a lot of $$$ to buy the HD11/12K over the Ruby. Again, the specs don't lie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,992 Posts
Kraig.


Well said. My taughts exactly, coming from a JVC HX1U calibrated by William.


BTW, I'm using a Pio 79AVi at 1080i to the Ruby. At first I taught that 480i over HDMI was better, but after alot of tweaking, 1080i is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
kraig, I don’t recognize the mount you are using, it doesn’t look like the Sony brand. What kind of mount are you using?


Also what iris mode to you prefer?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,710 Posts
Kraig,


Congrats on the new gem of a projector. Your direct comparison of the HD2K vs Ruby are the first I've heard and seem very accurate. One question on lumens though. You mention the Ruby is brighter than the HD2K is this with any Iris setting or just with Iris off? I have a 110" ST130 and I'm wondering if I went down the Ruby path if the screen is too big for the Auto Iris or Iris On setting as some have suggested.


Thanks and congrats again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE
Kraig.

Well said. My taughts exactly, coming from a JVC HX1U calibrated by William.

BTW, I'm using a Pio 79AVi at 1080i to the Ruby. At first I taught that 480i over HDMI was better, but after alot of tweaking, 1080i is better.
Levesque - I've yet to make 480i look decent from any source. The Ruby scaler prefers 1080i (which looks great) and I'm at a loss to explain.


Quote:
Originally Posted by megaman_y
kraig, I don’t recognize the mount you are using, it doesn’t look like the Sony brand. What kind of mount are you using? Also what iris mode to you prefer?
Megaman - That is the PSS-610 painted silver. Had it in the closet and didn't want to buy another mount. It works fine and takes paint very nicely too.


I'm using Auto Iris for now and so far prefer it. The white compression hasn't glared it's ugly head at me, pun intended. I've seen it but not so much that I find it distracting. I don't think I am as critical as others here on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen
Kraig,

Congrats on the new gem of a projector. Your direct comparison of the HD2K vs Ruby are the first I've heard and seem very accurate. One question on lumens though. You mention the Ruby is brighter than the HD2K is this with any Iris setting or just with Iris off? I have a 110" ST130 and I'm wondering if I went down the Ruby path if the screen is too big for the Auto Iris or Iris On setting as some have suggested.Thanks and congrats again!
Hey Mark! - I've not measured lumens but you've read everything I have regarding the iris modes and placement of the Ruby with respect to the screen. Mine is mounted about 14.5 feet back which is on the closer side, better for lumens. Screen is a Studiotek 130 and the room is a cave (not upt to Tryg's standards) but it is very dark. Refresh my memory, what is your room config? Cave or near cave? How far back would you mount the pj?


I think much has been discussed about the Ruby brightness and concerns have been raised. I will be measuring lumens in the next few weeks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigk
Hey Mark! - I've not measured lumens but you've read everything I have regarding the iris modes and placement of the Ruby with respect to the screen. Mine is mounted about 14.5 feet back which is on the closer side, better for lumens. Screen is a Studiotek 130 and the room is a cave (not upt to Tryg's standards) but it is very dark. Refresh my memory, what is your room config? Cave or near cave? How far back would you mount the pj?


I think much has been discussed about the Ruby brightness and concerns have been raised. I will be measuring lumens in the next few weeks.
Hi Kraig,


My room is a dedicated HT room and is very dark (flat black ceiling and walls near the screen and transition to dark burgundy walls further out). The length of the room is about 19' and I have the HD2K mounted at the very back, if I went with a Ruby I would mount it as close to the screen as possible. My screen is a 110" ST130. On the plus side for the HD2K, I really like the UHP lamps and was happy to lose the hot Xenon in my old G11.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,962 Posts
kraigk


Just in time for the holiday weekend. I know, now you dont care about the holiday anymore

with your new distraction:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Very clean. Your dangling cables finally has come to port...


Well, since someone asked how this compare to the JVC. I currently have the TV3 and would love to upgrade(??) to a Ruby. Of course I'll ask how TV3 compares to the Ruby (based on memory)?


Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen
Hi Kraig,

My room is a dedicated HT room and is very dark (flat black ceiling and walls near the screen and transition to dark burgundy walls further out). The length of the room is about 19' and I have the HD2K mounted at the very back, if I went with a Ruby I would mount it as close to the screen as possible. My screen is a 110" ST130. On the plus side for the HD2K, I really like the UHP lamps and was happy to lose the hot Xenon in my old G11.
Mark - I doubt you would have any issues with brightness with your room and how your planning on mounting the Ruby. In fact you could first try it at the back of the room if that is your preference and see how bright it is. It very well may be ok there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger
kraigk

Just in time for the holiday weekend. I know, now you dont care about the holiday anymore

with your new distraction:)
Alan - Boy you can say that again. How am I going to get my shopping done when I haven't even used the service menu? :D

I fealt like a kid at christmas waiting by the door for UPS to come yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdmai
Very clean. Your dangling cables finally has come to port...

Well, since someone asked how this compare to the JVC. I currently have the TV3 and would love to upgrade(??) to a Ruby. Of course I'll ask how TV3 compares to the Ruby (based on memory)?Thanks!!
VDmai - Of the projectors I've owned the TV3 was in use the longest. Set it and forget it would describe it well. The two piece design is still the ideal setup IMO. As for picture you already know my answer. Brighter, tons better contrast, 1080p vs. 720p, better processor/scaler, better blacks, blah, blah, blah. Don't see a Ruby if you don't want to part with some hard earned $$$. It will hook you. The TV3 projector itself was not much to look at, not bad but not good either. I hushboxed it as it was too loud for my taste. As I said before the Ruby is very stylish looking (got immediate spousal approval) and simply does not need a hushbox, that effort would be wasted.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigk
Mark - I doubt you would have any issues with brightness with your room and how your planning on mounting the Ruby. In fact you could first try it at the back of the room if that is your preference and see how bright it is. It very well may be ok there.
Cool, good to know. Btw, what is your screen size? You're also using a ST130 correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mark - I'm ST130 at 100" diag. If your ever in NorCal come have a look.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigk
Mark - I'm ST130 at 100" diag. If your ever in NorCal come have a look.
Thanks! I'm not up in NorCal often though. Not only that but your Avatar might scare me off lol :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen
Thanks! I'm not up in NorCal often though. Not only that but your Avatar might scare me off lol :D
The most amazing part of Kraig's theater is that it is in a van down by the river. Quite a setup. :)


--Darin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Thanks, Kraig. I do recall seing your TV3 setup with pictures and hushbox... But I thought the TV3 is rated 1100 Lumens and the Ruby at 800, yet you're saying the Ruby is brighter??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Congrats! Nice review...more pics would be great if you get the chance :)


Would like to hear more about the Xbox 360 performance if you have the time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigk
Levesque - I've yet to make 480i look decent from any source. The Ruby scaler prefers 1080i (which looks great) and I'm at a loss to explain.
Kraig,


Be sure the DRC is turned off, Black Level Adjust is Off, and the sharpness is down. Also try the analog YPbPr 480i instead of HDMI.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top