AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some poking around and could not find the rules on this.

Maybe I just need more coffee but does anybody know the rules on posting external links to sellers?

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I'm not a Moderator but been here for about 5 years and it's not permitted, in fact even the database engine for this Forum will Censor many attempts to even type many resellers.

Only MSRP can be discussed and sometimes links that are of Technical Value without selling is permitted but EBay being an AUCTION House it's selling and can be abused. Example is if your linking to Samsung Specifications(and other manufacturers) and other Technical Data that should work but as soon as the link drills to selling the Moderators will edit or in some cases lock down a thread.

However, AVSForum Club Members do have a section where as Members can exchange such information and post special deals that is separate from the Technical Data that non-Club members have no access to - Plus Members can sell their old gear also on the Forum when a Club Member. That's about the only way I've seen them posted and permitted. However, you will observe this being violated everyday and then eventually the Moderators stepping in to Police it with the idea this is a Technical Forum period and to prevent Abuse by resellers - even the Forum Sponsors have limits on what they can post you often have to exchange PM's with them and visit their external Banner Links separate from the threads as many of them have mandates that MAP Pricing often imposes on authorized sellers and this way it's segregated from the Technical.

A perfect example is Cleveland Plasma (Chris) who exchanges observations from CES of the new Panels and then when he receives some he has a professional ISF Tech Calibrate and report findings on results and shares with us but I don't recall him ever pricing anything within the forum outside MSRP - you have to visit his website and drill down to get that but he doesn't abuse the Technical Forum with Direct Sales - he provides valuable technical data for all of us and then the choices perhaps on choosing him as a Vendor is done outside the Forum by us.

·
Registered
141 Posts
AVS accepts advertising and has quick links for those who wish to advertise. I have seen some of those companies mentioned in forums but they are providing revenue so it would not make sense to allow others to advertise for nothing.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/18303945

I'm not a Moderator but been here for about 5 years and it's not permitted, in fact even the database engine for this Forum will Censor many attempts to even type many resellers.

Only MSRP can be discussed and sometimes links that are of Technical Value without selling is permitted but EBay being an AUCTION House it's selling and can be abused. Example is if your linking to Samsung Specifications(and other manufacturers) and other Technical Data that should work but as soon as the link drills to selling the Moderators will edit or in some cases lock down a thread.

However, AVSForum Club Members do have a section where as Members can exchange such information and post special deals that is separate from the Technical Data that non-Club members have no access to - Plus Members can sell their old gear also on the Forum when a Club Member. That's about the only way I've seen them posted and permitted. However, you will observe this being violated everyday and then eventually the Moderators stepping in to Police it with the idea this is a Technical Forum period and to prevent Abuse by resellers - even the Forum Sponsors have limits on what they can post you often have to exchange PM's with them and visit their external Banner Links separate from the threads as many of them have mandates that MAP Pricing often imposes on authorized sellers and this way it's segregated from the Technical.

A perfect example is Cleveland Plasma (Chris) who exchanges observations from CES of the new Panels and then when he receives some he has a professional ISF Tech Calibrate and report findings on results and shares with us but I don't recall him ever pricing anything within the forum outside MSRP - you have to visit his website and drill down to get that but he doesn't abuse the Technical Forum with Direct Sales - he provides valuable technical data for all of us and then the choices perhaps on choosing him as a Vendor is done outside the Forum by us.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts