AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the phone with a Dish CSR a few days ago to get some programming changes made. They transferred me over to one of their "senior" CSR folks to answer some technical questions I had. We got to talking about HD and he claimed to be an HD owner and viewer himself. This CSR seemed very knowledgable about all things HD. Anyway, he said that he, of course, couldn't promise anything, but I should be watching for "some form of HD PBS coming very soon, like before January soon."

I know we've talked about this and some of us may have speculated or heard something from others... but this is the first time I've actually heard someone from Dish say anything like this. Especially somebody who seemed to know a significant amount of information about HDTV and who works for Dish.

He ended the call by reminding me that I "didn't hear this" from him.

Could this be Dish psy-ops working to keep me as a subscriber (odd since I just signed up and was talking to a CSR about how good the quality was)? Or perhaps a legitimate bit of inside info?

Comments? Other info?

-- Robert

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
This is NOT a rumor! If you even slightly believe what a CSR tells you you are a foolish, foolish person! CSR's are the world's most clueless people and that is being kind! The PSB affliates will NEVER allow a national PBS feed to go a head!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianC
So I guess what you're saying, Frank, is this IS a rumor?
A recent question to Charlie Chat on this subject got me a canned response on how they are "committed to more HD programming".. yadda, yadda..

If they can pull it off it would be great. The PBS station in Boston has spotty DTV and no HD. I would love to get a reliable HD PBS station for all the documentaries and specials.

And since we are already paying $1/month for national PBS, I think the HD PBS channel should be included.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry if I offended Frank, I am just repeating what the CSR told me.

After dealing with Dish a few times on the phone, I've only gotten one clueless CSR. Her cluelessness was demonstrated after I called up and said "I live in NYC and am not getting the HD channel", after she spent about 10 minutes doing *something*, she came back on and told me "It is a glitch in the satellite... just wait until tomorrow it should be back." Okay, whatever. So I called back and spoke to one CSR who transferred me to some "elite" CSR somewhere. This is the guy who told me about PBS and knew all this stuff about HD and claimed to be an HD viewer himself.

The other time I spoke to a CSR was to activate my system. He knew what HD was and was asking me about how I liked it, etc.

Anyway, I've heard the horror stories and was prepared to just keep calling back until I got someone who could help. This strategy has worked quite well.

The PBS thing is just what this clued-in "elite CSR" told me. He said it shall be happening soon and to watch for a press release, more or less. He then reminded me that I didn't hear that from him.

If it's true, I will be happy. If not, no big deal since I'm not banking on it.

-- Robert

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't think you can compare the "national" PBS feeds on Dish and DTV to this. The HD feed is a completely different feed. Hell, my local PBS stations, during experimentation, was broadcasting 4 national PBS feeds in addition to the national HD feed at night. So just because the DBS providers broadcast the "national" PBS feed doesn't mean it's a sure bet we'll get the national HD feed.

All that being said, I sure hope it's true, although that will eliminate one more channel that keeps my antenna on the roof. I'm lucky enough to live in an area where the local PBS affiliate has been broadcasting HDTV for a couple of years now and I get splended reception. Still, if it means the wife won't complain about having to move the antenna every time, it'll make my life easier.

If this is, in fact, true, let's hope that ABC and NBC aren't far behind!! I especially need NBC before the Olympic games since I can't pickup the Philadelphia NBC station until they up their power and move their transmitter, which isn't scheduled to happen for another 12 months.

CSR's all clueless? Let's not jump to conclusions. Dish has over 5,000 CSR's nationwide. How many have you talked to? As with anything, there are people who are very good at their job and others who just do the minimum to keep their job. I don't think it's fair to generalize, especially when these folks are training to deal with the majority of calls which are mostly things like "how do I tune on my receiver", "where do I plug in my phone", and "how do I order a pay-per-view movie". I think most of the people here on this forum are actually over-qualified for a job like that! They train them for what they'll have to deal with the most. If anyone's ever worked in a support call center, you'll understand. Nobody knows all of the answers.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS
This is NOT a rumor! If you even slightly believe what a CSR tells you you are a foolish, foolish person! CSR's are the world's most clueless people and that is being kind! The PSB affliates will NEVER allow a national PBS feed to go a head!

So Frank, tell me how you really feel about CSR's. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Uh? There is already a national PBS feed on Dish...I was watching is a few minutes ago...

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pericles
Uh? There is already a national PBS feed on Dish...I was watching is a few minutes ago...

Are you saying that there is a PBS HDTV feed on Dish? And if so where is it?

Bernhard

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
A lot of people may not know that the PBS SD national feed is scheduled to be discontinued in January 2002 when the SHVIA provisions that made it possible are set to expire. Just because there is an SD national feed now, does not mean it's a precedent for an HD national feed. For some discussion on this subject see this thread .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.