AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Cinemark theater in Plano, Texas where SWII AotC was shown in the digital format, and I asked what the next movie would be on the digital projectors, and they said maybe Matrix 2. Does anyone know the scoop on this. I can't wait to see this movie. Move over Star Wars III, theres a better movie coming to town.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Matrix Reloaded will not be in DLP. It will be shown in IMAX DMR though.


Went to see X-Men 2 and it was in DLP.


The DLP web site still lists Piglet as the next DLP feature.


I left a message about this and the DLP Webmaster's reply was to check the web site www.filmreleases.com for the latest DLP releases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, Matrix Reloaded was shot on film. As such, digital projection would provide an image that is considerably inferior to film projection. Furthermore, current theatrical projection systems utilize a resolution that is inferior to home HDTV standards.


Why on Earth would anyone choose to see it this way?


Charlie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
Quote:
and I asked what the next movie would be on the digital projectors, and they said maybe Matrix 2
I think they meant X2 which is currently playing in some DLP capable theaters.

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, Matrix Reloaded was shot on film. As such, digital projection would provide an image that is considerably inferior to film projection. Furthermore, current theatrical projection systems utilize a resolution that is inferior to home HDTV standards.


Why on Earth would anyone choose to see it this way?
Whether it was shot on film or not is regardless, it can still be shown in D-Cinema (DLP) as is the case with X2, or Harry Potter or a myriad of other films that were converted for D-Cinema and projected in DLP equipped theaters.


Current D-Cinema PJs are 3 chip DLPs capable of doing 2058x1080 with 45 bit color (35 trillion colors).


You should read up on the threads that banter back and forth on film vs DLP etc, you'd pick up on some interesting tidbits. Especially the fact that the actual resolution that we see in the theater is less than home HD!


Top that off with not the fact that D-Cinema is immune to the scratches, fading, pops and jitter that film is prone to with repeated screenings and it sounds like a good deal to most.


Troy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Troy LaMont
Especially the fact that the actual resolution that we see in the theater is less than home HD!
I think that Troy meant the actual resolution that we see on a film movie in a traditional theater is less than home HD. As he correctly stated the latest DLP Cinema technology has greater resolution (both temporal and spatial) than HD.


-phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Troy LaMont
Especially the fact that the actual resolution that we see in the theater is less than home HD!
I think that Troy meant the actual resolution that we see on a film movie in a traditional theater is less than home HD. As he correctly stated the latest DLP Cinema technology has greater resolution (both temporal and spatial) than HD.


-phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,800 Posts
The digital movies like the last two Star Wars are loaded into a massive hard drive from discs, and then played back through the digital movie theater projector. Other film movies played in "digital" theaters are played back using the analog projector. They can't be played on the digital projector because film can't be downloaded to the hard drive!!! How do I know this??? Because our Az Audio Video Club had a tour recently of the Arrowhead Harkins theaters, I asked just these questions, and saw both the digital and the regular movie projectors at the digital theater.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,800 Posts
We were also told that the next digital movie coming is "Nemo" and that they only get maybe 5-6 digital movies for that theater per year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Other film movies...can't be played on the digital projector because film can't be downloaded to the hard drive!!! [/b]
Sure they can. It seems that they did not talk about or go much into detail about the simple fact that any movie can be digitally stored and played back digitally even if it was recorded on film.


Many of your DVDs are of filmed content that was digially transfered in one form or another for release to home video, even VHS.


Movies shot on film shown on HBO-HD and Showtime-HD and probably a lot of SD channels have been digitally recorded, stored and played back digitally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Troy LaMont


Current D-Cinema PJs are 3 chip DLPs capable of doing 2058x1080 with 45 bit color (35 trillion colors).

Troy
Nonsense. Current D-Cinema projectors are 1280*1024

and less than HD. 1080p models are on the way but

none are installed in commercial cinemas yet.

And the 35 trillion colors is marketing hype.

First the input signal is limited to 10bits per

channel anyway on current digital masters

and second the mediocre black level

of these systems further eats into color resolution

in darker image parts. Real resolution is somewhere

between 8 and 10 bit per channel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thebarnman
Sure they can. It seems that they did not talk about or go much into detail about the simple fact that any movie can be digitally stored and played back digitally even if it was recorded on film.


Many of your DVDs are of filmed content that was digially transfered in one form or another for release to home video, even VHS.


Movies shot on film shown on HBO-HD and Showtime-HD and probably a lot of SD channels have been digitally recorded, stored and played back digitally.
I just told you what Harkins told us and showed us - that non-digitally filmed movies are played back on a regular projector at their digital theater. So I guess you know more than they do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mhafner
Nonsense. Current D-Cinema projectors are 1280*1024

and less than HD. 1080p models are on the way but

none are installed in commercial cinemas yet.

And the 35 trillion colors is marketing hype.

First the input signal is limited to 10bits per

channel anyway on current digital masters

and second the mediocre black level

of these systems further eats into color resolution

in darker image parts. Real resolution is somewhere

between 8 and 10 bit per channel.
Actually it is NOT nonsense. First the input signal on the current projectors is limited to 12 bits per channel not 10. The REAL resolution will be at around 12 Bits per channel, and this is only because it is limited by its input.


A FACT is that the GREAT majority of people who watched a movie from a 3 Chip DMD projector said it looked Better than film.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,102 Posts
first off: there are movies that shot on film and transferred to disk via a transfer method. SW Ep1 was shot on film, not on HD cameras. Yet, they were shown on DLP projectors after the transfer. Steve, your movie theater will project the movie how it was distributed to them. That doesn't mean that a movie shot on film will never make it to a digital showing.

Mhafner, the newer PJ's haven't made it to mainstream theaters yet, but you have to remember that true hd that we see at home is either 1280 x 720p or 1440 x 1080i. In DLP cinemas all movies are shown in 1280 x 1024p (some, anamorphically to fit directors aspect ratio) which actually have more resolution than HD. There is a debate on which HD format has better picture but in DLP cinema there are no broadcast filters. Compression is also different. Although most DLP cinema showings use qubit compression there have been some which used mpeg2 compression. I believe qubit has less artifacts from their compression than mpeg2. So, back to the original question. Matrix can be shown DLP regardless of how it was filmed. Will it? That you may want to email or call the studio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Bruzonsky
I just told you what Harkins told us and showed us - that non-digitally filmed movies are played back on a regular projector at their digital theater. So I guess you know more than they do.
What they stated was correct. Though when it comes to this kind of stuff (hdtv, cinema (digital or analog) and much much more when it comes to audio and video) I hate to read or hear only half of the information.


At least to me, when someone says that a "film" cannot be shown on a digital projector, I know it's not the full truth. Even if what he or she said was correct...that a 35mm print of a film cannot be projected from a digital projector.


I used to be a projectionist for a few theaters. One in GA, two in MI and one in AZ, and I have given tours before though it's been a while. Today, If "I" was the one giving the tour for the "Az Audio Video Club" in that same theater, I would had made sure to mention the fact that any film could be transfered to digital IF the studio or distributer was willing to pay for the transfer for any reason or advantage they saw fit. For example, maybe if a film was to be shown at that theater for 2 years, the benefit would be that the picture quality would look the same at the end of it's run as it did on it's first showing. Though that's an extreme example and probably would not happen in such a regular commercial theater setting...maybe at a theme park of some sort.


In the real world, Arrowhead only shows digital movies from their digital projector when the movie itself is recorded and distributed digitally on the average of about 4 maybe 5 times a year (if that). At all other times, movies distributed on 35mm motion picture film is played on the regular projector that sits next to the digital projector so that particular theater can still be used.


Talking about Harkens, I'm very excited that they are bringing back the the old Cine Capri.


PHOENIX, AZ -- According to a recent article in the Arizona Republic, the Harkins Theaters chain has announced plans to rebuild Phoenix AZ's famous Cine Capri movie theater as part of a $17 million, 14-screen complex.


"It's bigger, better and brighter than the old Cine Capri," chain owner Dan Harkins said, adding that it will be the largest stadium-seating movie auditorium in the Valley. "We decided to use all of our resources to make this the absolute premier venue for the Southwest, which is (the same) in fashion and form as the old Cine Capri."


The original Cine Capri, which first opened in 1966 and featured a wrap-around 60-foot wide screen with more than 800 seats, was destroyed in 1998 despite enormous public support. In fact, a petition created by concerned local citizens at the time garnered over 250,000 signatures, but to no avail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thebarnman
I used to be a projectionist for a few theaters. One in GA, two in MI and one in AZ, and I have given tours before though it's been a while. Today, If "I" was the one giving the tour for the "Az Audio Video Club" in that same theater, I would had made sure to mention the fact that any film could be transfered to digital IF the studio or distributer was willing to pay for the transfer for any reason or advantage they saw fit. For example, maybe if a film was to be shown at that theater for 2 years, the benefit would be that the picture quality would look the same at the end of it's run as it did on it's first showing. Though that's an extreme example and probably would not happen in such a regular commercial theater setting...maybe at a theme park of some sort.


In the real world, Arrowhead only shows digital movies from their digital projector when the movie itself is recorded and distributed digitally on the average of about 4 maybe 5 times a year (if that). At all other times, movies distributed on 35mm motion picture film is played on the regular projector that sits next to the digital projector so that particular theater can still be used.
Barnman, please give a few examples of movies shot and distributed on film, but which were transferred to digital IF to be shown in a digital theater??? Anything is possible, but not necessarily commercially viable from a business standpoint. I am definitely interested if this has actually been done. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
Quote:
wow...lots of conflicting information in this one thread. can someone clear all of this up?
Funny thing is that the original thread topic got lost in the shuffle as always.


In summary;
  • X2 is being played digitally in theaters
  • No verification on whether or not Matrix: Reloaded will be projected digigally
  • Some cineplexes have the capability to project both film and digital movies from the same theater room
  • Any film based movie can be shown digitally
  • Next gen cinema DLP PJs can do 2058 x 1080p but no one is for sure if any have been implemented
  • Typical filmed movies have, on the average, less resolution than typical HD material
  • Some people prefer film to digital and vice versa


In a nutshell..... :D

Quote:
Actually it is NOT nonsense. First the input signal on the current projectors is limited to 12 bits per channel not 10. The REAL resolution will be at around 12 Bits per channel, and this is only because it is limited by its input.


A FACT is that the GREAT majority of people who watched a movie from a 3 Chip DMD projector said it looked Better than film.
Thanks for the clarification....


Troy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Troy LaMont
[*] X2 is being played digitally in theaters
I saw X2 in a new theater and was very disapointed with how bad the picture looked. It was not sharp at all, way inferior to HDTV, so I guess it was being projected digitally.
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top