AVS Forum banner

721 - 740 of 1428 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
thats 5500$ on a presale my guess is thats not normal cost they are just trying to move units. im guessing 7000$ retail
You can't equate Euro/pounds and dollars unless you are buying a unit from Europe. Until there is a US price, there are too many other factors. The price in a given geographic region is just that.

·
Registered
684 Posts
thats 5500$ on a presale my guess is thats not normal cost they are just trying to move units. im guessing 7000$ retail
I expect it to be competitively priced with other manufacturer's flagship LED's. The OLED purists are never coming back to LED, and if priced above other flagship LED's they would essentially be attempting to create a new category of TV. (which it really isn't).

·
Registered
684 Posts
You haven't seen it and the specs are still rumors. How can you be so sure as to what it is or isn't?
Just going by the entire thread. I don't see anything to suggest it isn't LED in some form.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
Just going by the entire thread. I don't see anything to suggest it isn't LED in some form.
Well, that's a pretty vast oversimplification. A dual stack / dual layer LCD would be something completely new in a consumer TV (if that's what it is) even if it technically is just another LCD TV with a LED backlight.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well, that's a pretty vast oversimplification. A dual stack / dual layer LCD would be something completely new in a consumer TV (if that's what it is) even if it technically is just another LCD TV with a LED backlight.
Yes but you'd be selling to the minority of the minority of consumers. There's only a small # of people willing to pay thousands of dollars for a TV. Of that crowd I'd imagine only a very small percentage would even consider paying more than the going rate for what is currently considered the best out there in the OLED's.

This site is filled with potential customers for this type of TV. That said there's a reason the Vizio P thread has 17 thousand more replies and 900 thousand more views than the 940D thread and it's not because of specs.

My understanding was Sony was looking to get back to the top in sales the next couple years. You don't accomplish that with $10,000 price tags.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Yes but you'd be selling to the minority of the minority of consumers. There's only a small # of people willing to pay thousands of dollars for a TV. Of that crowd I'd imagine only a very small percentage would even consider paying more than the going rate for what is currently considered the best out there in the OLED's.

This site is filled with potential customers for this type of TV. That said there's a reason the Vizio P thread has 17 thousand more replies and 900 thousand more views than the 940D thread and it's not because of specs.

My understanding was Sony was looking to get back to the top in sales the next couple years. You don't accomplish that with $10,000 price tags.
At this point probably only Samsung and LG are big enough to have a "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it" retail show product where they can sustain loses from it. Now if the ZD9 is a game changer LCD television priced similar to other flagship models then that is exactly what Sony would need to ensure their future existence as a television manufacturer.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
Yes but you'd be selling to the minority of the minority of consumers.
That's how Halo products work. They advance your brand perception and get you mindshare in the eyes of consumers. Very few people will buy one, but they will be more likely to buy your lower end products.

There's only a small # of people willing to pay thousands of dollars for a TV. Of that crowd I'd imagine only a very small percentage would even consider paying more than the going rate for what is currently considered the best out there in the OLED's.
If it can best the current LG OLED sets in performance, it could sustain and justify a slightly higher price. Smart high end shoppers buy performance, not technology.

Case in point, Sony is making a $60k 4k laser projector which your logic says they wouldn't.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

Sony would be smart to take the Apple model - focus on high end products with the best build quality, design, and user experience, and sell the total package as an aspirational purchase so that they can demand higher profit margins with lower volumes. Of course, to do that they will need to reverse this year's trend of iffy build quality and hit-or-miss support.

No one will be able to compete with the Chinese on price, so the only path forward is to out-engineer them and offer a consumer experience that they can't.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
That's how Halo products work. They advance your brand perception and get you mindshare in the eyes of consumers. Very few people will buy one, but they will be more likely to buy your lower end products.
If a consumer is mindful enough to know of the ZD9 wouldn't she/he also be astute enough to realize there is no comparison to some lower end edge-lit model?

I don't see anyone (well, almost anyone) in awe of an OLED being more likely to buy a cheaper LG ISP LCD television because of the LG brand since they can't afford the OLED.

Sony may be on a tightrope even if they have a game changing LCD television because they have limited resources compared to Samsung and Sony. Regardless of the pricing they're likely going to occur loses until word gets out on their technology, the ironing out of inevitable problems and production costs are cut down. It appears LG was able to weather the storm with their OLEDs notwithstanding some Sony enthusiasts thinking otherwise but will Sony be able to do the same?

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Sony would be smart to take the Apple model - focus on high end products with the best build quality, design, and user experience, and sell the total package as an aspirational purchase so that they can demand higher profit margins with lower volumes. Of course, to do that they will need to reverse this year's trend of iffy build quality and hit-or-miss support.

No one will be able to compete with the Chinese on price, so the only path forward is to out-engineer them and offer a consumer experience that they can't.

That approach just won't work in the TV market. Price is the determining factor with TV's. This is the real reason Apple still has not entered the TV market and I bet it's because they cannot charge their high prices, get their usual 40% mark up and succeed in selling TV's. Not when the average Joe can and will get a 65" 4K LED for less than $1K.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
If a consumer is mindful enough to know of the ZD9 wouldn't she/he also be astute enough to realize there is no comparison to some lower end edge-lit model?
Well, it's more like they see the ZD9 in the store, jaw drops, they see the price and decide to buy a lower end Sony because they figure Sony must be the best.

I don't see anyone (well, almost anyone) in awe of an OLED being more likely to buy a cheaper LG ISP LCD television because of the LG brand since they can't afford the OLED.
It wouldn't surprised me if LG sold a few more than they otherwise would have because of that, but it probably doesn't work so well there because the lower end sets aren't OLED. As long as Sony uses similar jargon on the features between the low and high end, even if they're not remotely comparable performance wise it will sell lower end sets.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Could be I guess, but you can not get this type of resolution with 1000 zones and a diffuser on a 85" panel. I can't find it now, but I have seen a picture of Panny 65DX900 with 512 zone honeycomb diffuser in place over the LEDs and it still was very blocky. So what is this new tech making bloom/halos disappear and giving them OLED black levels.

Update: I didn't find the right one, but here is a pic of the 65" Panny DX900 wit 512 zones on a 65". So estimating the surface area of an 85" is slightly less than double the spacing should be similar, And for the record the Panny still suffers from some blooming and halos.

And here is the Sony:

The Dolby PRM-4200 42" mastering display has 1,500 RGB LED clusters in its backlight (it is like 12" thick though) and the Dolby Pulsar 4,000 nit HDR mastering display (based on the PRM) is rumored to have 10,000 LEDs in a 42" display.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
As I keep saying... It won't look the same. It will look very different. 4k nits with black blacks (if it can really do that) won't look anything like a 600 nit OLED. No one is going to mistake one for the other.

Having seen a Dolby Pulsar in person, I can confirm that it makes a 700nit display look like SDR.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Having seen a Dolby Pulsar in person, I can confirm that it makes a 700nit display look like SDR.

I bet you can't wait to get your hands on a ZD9 for testing.
Full screen numbers will be pretty interesting. 1000 nits full screen? Panny dx902, ks9800, and vizio R are between 700-800 max.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I bet you can't wait to get your hands on a ZD9 for testing.

Full screen numbers will be pretty interesting. 1000 nits full screen? Panny dx902, ks9800, and vizio R are between 700-800 max.

IMHO 1% or less size peak brightness on an HDR display is more important than fullscreen. Heck even the Sony BVM X300 HDR mastering display can only do 170nits fullscreen in HDR mode.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
IMHO 1% or less size peak brightness on an HDR display is more important than fullscreen. Heck even the Sony BVM X300 HDR mastering display can only do 170nits fullscreen in HDR mode.

Of course it is. But it'll still be interesting to "see what it can do" as far as horsepower wise.

Also curious if sony will give it a larger Color space than the current sony lineup.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
UK audio-video store has preorders for this set, coming in sep/oct or earlier. Wonder what that translates to North America. We'll know soon enough.

721 - 740 of 1428 Posts