AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm building a new house (currently they are doing wiring/plumbing), and i'm struggling with what to have the low voltage wiring company do with my Audio/Video Closet.

I have 3 rooms that I will be hanging TVs on the wall and running all inputs from the closet to the rooms through the walls.

Here is what i'm hoping to do:

Closet:

1 PS3 (will be used for DVD, Bluray & Gaming)

3 Cox Cable HD DVR boxes (1 for each TV)

1 5.1 Receiver (will be used only for the living room TV)

My plan was to have 2 HDMI cables to each of the rooms. The first HDMI Cable for the Cox DVRs in the closet, and the second HDMI Cable to a HDMI Splitter w/ remote.

I was hoping to be able to move from room to room to play PS3 simply bi switching the input on the TV in the room i'm in.

The problem is that my wiring guy doesn't think I need a 2nd HDMI cable to each room, and may still charge me the cost of the cables plus an additional cost per foot for installation if I do a second cable.

He thinks I could use a combination of HDMI switcher and HDMI splitter and make each of the rooms be able to play the PS3 without a 2nd cable.

What I don't understand is if I do it his way (without a 2nd HDMI cable) but with a combination of splitter/switcher, won't the splitter always force each room to be watching the same thing, even if it does allow it to be switched to a different device?

I definitely don't want to force all 3 rooms to watch PS3 when I went out and got 3 separate HD DVRs.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

If you have a specific set of hardware in mind. Please let me know. Also if you think I should go with a 2nd HDMI cable to each room please let me know. I have to know before Monday, as he is laying the HDMI cables.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok. After further research I found that there are solutions called matrix's.

I found several 4x4 matrix's for HDMI.

I guess my question would be. Would I use one of the 4x4 matrix?

If so would I just do

Inputs:

1) Cox HDDVR

2) Cox HDDVR

3) 5.1 HDMI Receiver (Cox DVR & PS3 input) HDMI output

Outputs:

TVs

Also, if everything has to feed through a matrix, would I still be able to use the Receiver to control the speakers in the living room when I have that TV switched to the Receiver input?

I guess it adds a wrinkle when one of your inputs is already a hub for 2 other inputs.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've tried 3 hdmi switchers, and I'm waiting for someone else to report something positive and not be the first

one again.

I'm looking at the Octava 4x4 hdmi switcher after

trying others and refusing to pay twice the price for

Atlona or Gefen.

I don't see why what you propose wouldn't work, but

I've had a heck of time with one that specifically

had problems with a ps3, so make sure you have

a good return policy and test it right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner2k1 /forum/post/15521629

Ok. After further research I found that there are solutions called matrix's.

I found several 4x4 matrix's for HDMI.

I guess my question would be. Would I use one of the 4x4 matrix?

If so would I just do

Inputs:

1) Cox HDDVR

2) Cox HDDVR

3) 5.1 HDMI Receiver (Cox DVR & PS3 input) HDMI output

Outputs:

TVs

Also, if everything has to feed through a matrix, would I still be able to use the Receiver to control the speakers in the living room when I have that TV switched to the Receiver input?

I guess it adds a wrinkle when one of your inputs is already a hub for 2 other inputs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts