AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

Until I get my new system up and running, my main TV system has a Samsung "surround sound" speaker bar. A while back I determined it wasn't outputting Dolby (as indicated by the various colored lights), but couldn't figure out why - tried changing every option.

Then, I discovered it was the setup. Speaker bar only has 1 optical input - I have my satelite box and blu-ray player to input, so it is hooked up with their HDMI outputs going to the TV (Samsung LCD), and the TV's optical output going to the speaker bar. It appears this setup doesn't allow the Dolby signal to pass through. An optical switch is extremely hard to come by.

(BTW, I have tried directly connecting the optical out of the satelite box to the speaker bar and it will do Dolby then, so it's not a problem with the bar itself. But this makes life awkward if I want to watch a DVD in the blu-ray player)

So, I plan to replace the speaker bar with an AVR and a 3.0 or 3.1 setup (the soundstage it produces doesn't work well for the space it's in and the wireless subwoofer also sucks) - but won't be able to afford the speakers likely until next year.

Since I only need an AVR that does 5.1, I've been watching for the mid-to-lower end ones to start going on closeout (or even get something refurb off Newegg Canada), and could afford just that piece now.

Does anyone know offhand whether any AVRs have optical outs, so that I could connect the components to the AVR and the AVR to the speaker bar - until I can get proper speakers?

I am not married to any particular brand - I have a Yamaha RX-A800 for my new system, and that is the only AVR I've ever owned.

TIA!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 /forum/post/20853940

Hi -

Until I get my new system up and running, my main TV system has a Samsung "surround sound" speaker bar. A while back I determined it wasn't outputting Dolby (as indicated by the various colored lights), but couldn't figure out why - tried changing every option.

Then, I discovered it was the setup. Speaker bar only has 1 optical input - I have my satelite box and blu-ray player to input, so it is hooked up with their HDMI outputs going to the TV (Samsung LCD), and the TV's optical output going to the speaker bar. It appears this setup doesn't allow the Dolby signal to pass through. An optical switch is extremely hard to come by.

(BTW, I have tried directly connecting the optical out of the satelite box to the speaker bar and it will do Dolby then, so it's not a problem with the bar itself. But this makes life awkward if I want to watch a DVD in the blu-ray player)

So, I plan to replace the speaker bar with an AVR and a 3.0 or 3.1 setup (the soundstage it produces doesn't work well for the space it's in and the wireless subwoofer also sucks) - but won't be able to afford the speakers likely until next year.

Since I only need an AVR that does 5.1, I've been watching for the mid-to-lower end ones to start going on closeout (or even get something refurb off Newegg Canada), and could afford just that piece now.

Does anyone know offhand whether any AVRs have optical outs, so that I could connect the components to the AVR and the AVR to the speaker bar - until I can get proper speakers?

I am not married to any particular brand - I have a Yamaha RX-A800 for my new system, and that is the only AVR I've ever owned.

TIA!

I could be wroing, but I do not think AVR's have opitcal output until you get to the upper level receivers. I have an Onkyo TX-NR1008 MSRP $1,500.00 USD and I know I do not have them.

You could try something like this though:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hey man I am sorry this does not answer your question well, but I have never sene an AVR with an optical output. Perhaps someone here will be more helpful with that. I don't think modern AVRs have them either, so if you truly want to move up from sound bar to 5.1 speakers + AVR I am going to suggest you don't waste your money. It seems so backwards to have an AVR and a powered sound bar.

try this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882196080

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a Marantz SR5003 with an optical output. The currently available SR5005 also has an optical out, but it looks to have been removed from the upcoming SR5006. The SR5005 is on sale right now (probably to clear out for the SR5006).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smigro and skidawgz thanks for those links! I have searched the net like crazy and never come across these switches (other than 1 in the UK). One of these might fit the bill nicely until I can go full AVR & speakers upgrade.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 /forum/post/20854158

Smigro and skidawgz thanks for those links! I have searched the net like crazy and never come across these switches (other than 1 in the UK). One of these might fit the bill nicely until I can go full AVR & speakers upgrade.

The monoprice one may seem to cheap to be good, but they sell good products for good prices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.