AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I've had it with my Panasonic TU-HDS20. I've been trying to use it as my primary receiver for a few months now, and every time I have to do something other than tune directly to a channel, I'm about ready to throw it out a window. (Sometimes even just tuning to a channel gets me in window-throwing-out mood.)

Anyway.....

Is there a way to hook up my old receiver to the same cable the HD STB uses? I'd prefer not to have to pay an extra $5 a month (extra receiver charge) just because this Panasonic is SO SO SO bad.

Any thoughts.....?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Seems like if the old receiver worked on the incoming coax before it should work now. Just be sure you go through the setup again to make the receiver aware of the appropriate (oval) dish.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I should be more clear -- I want both the HD STB AND the non-HD STB to use the SAME cable. I only have one feed coming in from the dish.

Can I use a coax splitter?

After I read your reply, I realized my original question was too open-ended. :)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Unless I am really confused your post talks about two different things.

1) You can't connect two working receivers to one cable, you need a dual LNB dish with two cables. If on the other hand you are only going to use one at a time you could in theory use a coax switch and it would probably work.

2) However you would still pay a second receiver charge because you would have two receiver/access cards registered with Direct TV. I'm not sure how you could get over this

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No -- you got it -- that's exactly what I'm trying to do -- use 1 receiver for watching regular TV, and one receiver for watching HD programming. Never at the same time, though.

I know other people here do this -- I was hoping they could shed some light on their setups.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yes, you need someone who has actually tried it, having a theory is not good enough. My first thought is the actual connections would work as long as only one receiver is powered at a time, otherwise the switching from the STBs could interfere with each other (even if only one receiver had an access card). But even then I do not know how you solve the access card problem, I don't think you can just move a single access card between receivers, so you would end up paying for two receivers anyway. And if you wanted pay-per-view on both receivers that would also be the case. Anyway this is really speculation, hopefully someone with the same situation will respond to the post.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I forgot to mention that a good source for both splitter hardware and technical information is Channelmaster. They were really good giving me assistance over the phone when I was trying to solve a diplexing problem.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by YardleyBill
...that's exactly what I'm trying to do -- use 1 receiver for watching regular TV, and one receiver for watching HD programming. Never at the same time, though.
Much clearer now. This is exactly what I do, use my Panny only for HD and my DirecTiVo for everything else. Both receivers will have to be activated so you will have to pay the monthly additional receiver charge.

But, I'm still a little confused. Are you using an oval dish with two or three LNBs or a round dish with a single LNB pointed only at 119? If you only have one coax run from the dish, you must have the latter setup. Now might be a good time to consider upgrading to the oval dish with all three LNBs so you can receive programming from all satellites. The new oval dishes have four outputs so you would be all set.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an oval dish, with 1 piece of coax running to my TV.

I was hoping for a "simple" solution involving no additional work, cables, or access cards, but it appears that there is no such animal. (I know -- what was I thinking....?)

I'll just have to live with the Panny.

Maybe I'll win the lottery so I can afford all the STBs I want!

·
Registered
973 Posts
If you have an oval dish with two LNBs, then you should have an external multiswitch either at the dish or where the coax enters your house. You should be able to just run another length of coax from the switch to the other receiver, relatively minor installation.

Have a quick look and see if you can find the switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.