AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We're mounting a powered soundbar speaker in the kitchen over an LCD. I'd like to keep all the cables in-wall and am wondering if I can run the power cord for the speaker in the wall.

The speaker (Boston Acoustics Tvee 2) has a laptop style power brick with the power output line from the brick to the speaker being 24V / 2.7A.

I have a recessed plasma mount so I can keep the brick outside of the wall and it will be plugged into an accessible outlet. However, I need to run the low voltage portion of the power from the brick from the recessed plasma mount, inside of the wall to the speaker.

Is there any way to do this and keep it to code? Can I enclose the low voltage power cable in conduit (I have no idea if it is UL listed).

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am pretty sure that you are not allowed, by code, to run and type of plug cord or extension cord in a wall, which is why everyone with projector runs the special power extender thing a ma bobber.

I am not even sure if conduit would make it "legal"...

You definately want to call your inspectors office on this one... ask what your options are.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennektj /forum/post/15516432

I am pretty sure that you are not allowed, by code, to run and type of plug cord or extension cord in a wall, which is why everyone with projector runs the special power extender thing a ma bobber.

I am not even sure if conduit would make it "legal"...

You definately want to call your inspectors office on this one... ask what your options are.

Thanks for the reply. My thinking was that because the run inside the wall is 24V rather than 110V (I think the NEC definition of safe / low voltage is

Another alternative I thought of is to use some extra UL rated speaker wire I have laying around to make an extension cord of sorts and run that stuff through the wall (ie with a DC mini-coax jack on one end and a DC plug on the other end). Anyone know if this would be acceptable? In particular I want to avoid putting a low voltage mud ring behind the speaker.

Thanks agaiN!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts