AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been asked before, however I have searched and was unable to locate anything that answers my question.

I'm in the process of buying a new home and before I move in I want to wire it up for a whole home audio solution. I'm on a budget and would like to keep it on the cheap side if at all possible.

These are the requirements I have for the solution:

1) Have one source to be distributed to 3-4 rooms.

2) Control the volume independently in each room from a wall mounted control.

3) No need for multiple sources to be played simultaneously in different rooms.

4) No need for remote source control.

I was talking to a friend who seems to believe that if I picked up a 7.1 channel receiver that has an amplified second zone option I could run 5.1 surround sound for the living room, and then run my 3-4 other rooms all off of the second zone on the receiver. Will running 3 sets of speakers off of that second zone be possible without an external amplifier? I don't need something terribly loud, it's for casual listening.

Is this possible or am I missing something here?

Receiver Zone 2 -----> Russound Altx-2D ----> Kitchen

--------------------------> Russound Altx-2D ----> Living Room

--------------------------> Russound Altx-2D ----> Bedroom

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
For low to moderate listening levels, running all speakers from one amp should work fine. Generally that only requires a few watts per speaker.

To control the volume separately in each room would require an impedance matching volume control. The speaker and amp wires have to run to that, of course. Just Google "impedance matching volume control" for many selections.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
You'll waste time and money using a 7.1 AVR, with 2 zones.

Buy 2 cheap AVR's, 1 for the 5.1 surround sound in the main TV room.

Use the other AVR for the whole-house audio.

Each is $200-400, cheaper if used. 2 Zone AVR is more than twice that, and very difficult to program (relatively).

Distributed wiring will be the same for each (2 AVR's vs. 2-Zone AVR).

If someone else (CI) is doing the wiring, ask the opinion of the salesman. Also, shop around. CI Competition is fierce currently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/15539619

You'll waste time and money using a 7.1 AVR, with 2 zones.

Buy 2 cheap AVR's, 1 for the 5.1 surround sound in the main TV room.

Use the other AVR for the whole-house audio.

Each is $200-400, cheaper if used. 2 Zone AVR is more than twice that, and very difficult to program (relatively).

Distributed wiring will be the same for each (2 AVR's vs. 2-Zone AVR).

If someone else (CI) is doing the wiring, ask the opinion of the salesman. Also, shop around. CI Competition is fierce currently.

Hm, really? I found what appears to be a decent 7.1 receiver that can also be a 5.1 receiver with a second zone for under 300. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes you can...and I have done it

I have my zone to going into a box that balances the Ohms (bought at an electronics shop) so that input ohms = output ohms. Then this box splits the signal 2 ways. Volume is halved, but ohms stay the same to ensure correct load to speakers.

All i do is run my Onkyo 606 at a volume of 60 on the zone 2. I have 2 volume controls then in the wall...one for back room and one for outside speakers

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I run 2 zones currently myself, from a single AVR, the Denon 3808. It was one of the 'cheaper' 2 zone AVR's I found, though I didn't look that hard.

My zone 2 runs from a pre-out on the Denon to an old Denon AVR, for amplification to multiple zones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts