AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a problem with UTV and wanted to see if anyone else had experienced and resolved it before.

Periodically when fast forwarding a taped show the system become unresponsive to my attempts to stop the forward progression. It then ques up every key press I made and begins an uncontrollable dance with FF and Reverse.

It takes me more time to stop the madness, find where I was and get back to the starting point. I would almost be better watching all the commercials.

Any help would be appreciated.

It is a RCA model running the new upgrade.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by beau
Having a problem with UTV and wanted to see if anyone else had experienced and resolved it before.

Periodically when fast forwarding a taped show the system become unresponsive to my attempts to stop the forward progression. It then ques up every key press I made and begins an uncontrollable dance with FF and Reverse.

It takes me more time to stop the madness, find where I was and get back to the starting point. I would almost be better watching all the commercials.

Any help would be appreciated.

It is a RCA model running the new upgrade.
Same here (RCA) and it's only been since 3.5.

It's almost as if the unit just decides to stop processing IR input for a minute. I hate it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Something like this happened to me once. I determined it to be due to UTV slow to acknowledge a request from the remote. So I think that I didn't press the remote and start pressing lots of buttons to get UTV to stop fast-forwarding. By the time UTV finally gets around to reading the commands from the remote, several of them have been queued up and UTV starts acting wacky. Don't know what causes UTV to be slow to respond to commands from the remote.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A quick fix although not a permanent one: If you are using it to skip commercials, just use the 30 second skip and 7 second rewind to get you to the right spot. Much faster.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I get what seems to be a runaway ..but when I double checked I was hitting the wrong buttons on the remote or pointing at the tv instead of the utv unintentionally..

If you have a problem it just maybe your hardware... unplug it or if you dare do a full reset if you don't mind loosing everything... and setting it up all over again..

Of those having a runaway problem who's units are not hacked... added larger drive, just curious...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a problem with my UTV not always responding to the correct buttons that I pressed. I discovered that the IR repeater I had installed (I use it to control the UTV in the living room from the bedroom or computer room) was sending the last command I entered. I move the IR repeater so it can't "see" the UTV and all is fine with the world.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I guess I use the FF a little differently. I use it sparingly. I try to only use it when I need to get to either the beginning or the end of a recording. I'm very deliberate when I do use it just to be sure I don't "go wacky".

I normally just use the skip ahead and the skip back features. Just use the FF and RW carefully and you should be OK.

Good luck.

foghorn

·
Registered
171 Posts
I haven't seen the problem, but like others on the forum, I have come to prefer the 30 second skip. I spent two weeks switching back and forth between the ff replay combo and the 30 second skip replay combo and liked the 30 second skip significantly better.

I have one UTV that sometimes takes makes two button press out of one button press. Only does it sometimes and then it is annoying. However, since it is the kid's UTV and I don't mess with it much, it isn't worth getting warranty work done on it. Would take me several hours to get it resetup with all the channels, locks, and auto-records.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've had this problem. It seems to happen more often since 3.5, but I also had it before the upgrade. I figure the system is inturrupt driven and the system is just too busy to check for the inturrupt of a keypress on the remote. Makes you wonder why they didn't include a processor that was a little faster!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VBGeek2000
I had a problem with my UTV not always responding to the correct buttons that I pressed. I discovered that the IR repeater I had installed (I use it to control the UTV in the living room from the bedroom or computer room) was sending the last command I entered. I move the IR repeater so it can't "see" the UTV and all is fine with the world.
I have an IR repeater also, but I don't think that's the problem. I unplugged it for a day and it still kept getting stuck on FF.

You say you moved it so it doesn't "see" the UTV, wouldn't it (the repeater) then not work?

·
Registered
78 Posts
The runaway fast-forward happened again last night. I attributed it to pointing the remote more at the TV than the UTV.

Many times when I press the down channel button to scroll down with my RCA remote, my RCA TV will accept the command and switch me off the channel setup as input for the S-video connector. I've then got to switch the remote to TV mode to set it back to my S-video input channel and then back to DTV mode. Pain in the butt...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thewatcher
are any more people experiencing this problem?
I have both a Sony and an RCA and have never experienced the problem. Although I don't use the FF and RW very much (except to get to the beginning or end). I am curious what you like better about the FF and RW vs. the skip and replay. I will try to play around with it to see if I can get it to fail. It certainly appears to be a problem that is not affecting a large number of users.

Jay

·
Registered
327 Posts
My wife has experienced it countless times. For some unknown reason she prefers to FF/RW, I use 30sec>>/8sec

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use the 30 sec skip more than anything else so I don't see this very often. Can anyone give exact steps (1. 2. 3.) to reproduce this issue every time? How many seconds into FFWding does it happen?

Thx

Sean

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey watcher,

Once I saw that the IR repeater was the culprit, I hooked it up to an X-10 switched outlet and just turn it off and on as needed.

Tim

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.