AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may seem like a strange comparison. I'm torn between the two. I like the Runco name, and trust that it will be good. I'm concerned about the native resolution though. My primary seating will be at about 13ft, and I may have some seats a couple feet closer. The screen is about 7ft wide. Otherwise, the room is dark, quiet, etc.

I like the native resolution of the Benq, and I've heard it's very similar to the Runco 710. The only real negative other than it's not a Runco, that I've heard, is it's fan noise. I wonder if the Runcos have the same fan noise?

I've heard great reviews about both of them, and very little bad about either. I'm curious to hear the views of those on this forum. Please share your thoughts.

Adam

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi,

I can't offer an expert opinion, but I saw a few projectors today including the Runco 710. The Runco seemed to have a constant fan noise and not a cycling type of fan as I've read is the case with the BenQ. I don't have much to compare it to, but it wasn't bothersome at all when watching a DVD. My wife was with me today and we both thought the Runco had a very film-like image that was very pleasing to watch. The 710 was projecting on a Grayhawk and I thought the image might be a little dim and perhaps the colors a little muted. It didn't bother us overall though...as I said it looked very film-like and very watchable. The 710 is the front runner for of us at this early stage of searching.

·
Registered
909 Posts
A friend of mine who has seen the BenQ mentioned to me that the blacks really suxed because the projector was far too bright. Of course I cannot verify what he has said until I check it out myself but this was from a person who owns a Sony VPW HT12 so if he said that the blacks suxed then I am thinking it must really be bad.

BenQ and Infocus have traditionally not been at the forefront of producing "serious" home theatre projectors. Things may have changed though but I am a little bit sceptical with companies which do not have quality DNA like Marantz, Sharp, NEC, Sim2, and Runco. I am a bit biased against Dream Vision, Optoma, and Infocus because of the products I have seen from them.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
lyndonlim,

FWIW, Steve Smallcombe (who owns a tweaked-to-death Sony 11HT) said black levels were very good. Mind you, he has a 102"-diag white screen. So I guess that if your friend watched the BenQ on a smaller or higher-gain screen, the blacks must have suffered. Of course, an ND filter or gray screen would help.

If only the BenQ had a low brightness mode...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Adam-

Depending on how acute your vision is you are right at the threshold with the Runco where you may notice bothersome screen door. I believe in areas of white in the picture it would be noticeable. Even if you can't clearly distinguish screen door from your seating distance it will have a subtle effect on the PQ that would result in a image that was less smooth than the BenQ at the same viewing distance.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
986 Posts
i have seen both the runco 510 and the benq. I thought the runco was impressive. I have never seen black levels that good out of a low end machine. Much much better than anything i have seen out of a sony.

The benq 8700 was also impressive, i saw it on a 120" screen. If i remember correctly it was a firehawk screen. I thought it had good black levels and excellent contrast and sharpness.

I am in the same boat as you, but now that i am down to my decision time i have added more pj into the mix. I am considering the Runco 510, Benq 8700, Optoma H76 and a Used Maranatz.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The Runco will hold up better resale-wise if that is a consideration.

Haven't seen the Benq, but the 510 is a good machine from what I saw at HE2003.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Adam,

I can second Lenny's statement about pixels that you might see with the 510 versus not likely to see with your setup with the BenQ. If you ever wanted to sit closer or have a wider screen you'd have more latitude with the 8700 to do so. I experimented with a 107" wide image over the weekend and still couldn't see pixels at 14.5' with my 8700.

The cycling fan noise is an issue for me and others. It bothers in quieter scenes. BenQ should fix this; they'd be removing the only fault I can find with this HD2. The short throw may be an issue for some.

The 8700 is bright, but I wouldn't say too bright. In fact, I'd say it's a plus if you're considering a big (> 96" wide) image or the use of a gray screen. It's CR was rated at 1800 by Steve Smallcombe in the Secrets of Home Theater review. I think black levels are OK out of the box and readily improved with electronic adjustments or tweaks such as the use of a gray screen.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I saw the Runco 510 at Cedia and was really impressed by it Havent seen the BenQ so I cant compare but I would have no hesitation going with the Mattehorn chip especially when combined in a Runco machine

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I have a Runco CL510 here I have been playing with, and I have just demoed the BenQ PE8700 next to it. I've got to say they both look good. I'd say that if you watch a lot of HDTV, then go with the BenQ. If you are watching mostly DVD and whatnot, and your screen is not too large, then the CL510 is an awesome unit. If you want to email me I can send you some screen shots of the CL510 in HDTV and DVD (Bravo D-1 if you would like).

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read the secrets review on the 8700, and some of the adjustments didn't effect the progressive inputs much. How much of an issue is this? Does the 510 have the same problem? Should I not worry about having to run interlaced out of the DVD/HD getup? I"m also curious which fan is quieter between the 510 and the 8700.. I'd like to have the pictures. You have my email address.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Jason, any chance you could post a screenshot or two here in the thread?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 8700 is a pretty short throw pj. I'm not sure why that would be bad. It seems that some folks don't like such a short throw, but I'm not sure why. Can you tell me what the deal is with that?

Adam

·
Registered
32 Posts
well hello all you guys and hopefully some gals!

the reason is that if you want a more cinematic flavor to your room , the last thing you would want is a projector in the middle of the ceiling? Right!

or if you don't just want a big screen, but a correctly sized screen

BY the way, Runco may have some lineage to BENQ, however the Runco had a better scaler (by far), as well as extra 'tweek' ability in the set up menus! Plus it doesn't look like its come out of a catalog from Tiger Direct!

I am a hifi/ custom Home theater salesman in Michigan, and i sell Runcos, Its hard to show peole the difference when the only number they look at is price. i plan on a Runco CL-510 when they wil actually sell me one ( igues they are having trouble keeping normal dealers (like us) in stock!

i'll use a 92" fire hawk, and the new DVE set up disk with Tributaries TRI-video component cables, sound provided by a SUNFIRE ULTIMATE receiver with DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY 7.2(two subs) loud speakers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've read the manuals for the 710 and the 8700 and they are the same manual. They use the same pictures, text, etc. What different tweaking capability are you talking about in the menus?

Adam

·
Registered
859 Posts
There's one other difference between the 510 and the 8700 that hasn't been touched on yet (I don't think? ), and that is that the 510 is listed as having a 1000hr. bulb life vs. 2000hrs. for the Benq. If you plan to use this projector a lot, you'll be buying a lot og bulbs for the Runco. That issue alone would turn me off of this projector.

·
Registered
753 Posts
In the review of the Vidikron 40 ( owned by Runco ) in the Nov issue of HT mag, I can not help but notice its strikingly similar appearance to the Benq 8700. Kevin Miller said the Vid40 was "a great value at a MSRP of $8,995.00" (The Benq retails for $5,999 and streets for less)

I don't know how much credence I would give to his review as for reasons not mentioned he was "unable to evaluate the 40's HDTV performance using the DVI input" :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.