AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like Runco is joining Philips in coming out with a cinemascope tv. Although this one doesn't appear to be as thin. In fact it's 33" deep.

Check out the link here .

You can also check out the official link on Runco's site here .

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
With this and the new Phillips cinemascope TV coming out, I wonder if this is the start of a new trend. Maybe cinemascope projectors are closter than we think. At 50K though, I don't think there will be a large market for this TV. Very cool though.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd totally have one in my house. Except that there is the whole price thing standing in my way. I'd certainly look into one when the prices come down to earth. The thing is though at 33" deep it isn't exactly a wall hugger though. At least with the Philips it is possible to hang on the wall.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It looks like it is being designed for in-wall use, so it would be best used in a new construction or a redesign of a current theater.

Yeah, the price is a killer. It would have to be reduced about 75% before I would consider it, and I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Well, it's not a Plasma. It is a rear projection DLP tv and by that standard and the screen size, it is not that thick...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not really a "TV", in the traditional sense. It is a custom rear projection system. Big emphasis on "custom", as that is the only way you will get one in you house... through a brick and mortar retailer that specializes in custom installs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 /forum/post/15579733

It looks like Runco is joining Philips in coming out with a cinemascope tv. Although this one doesn't appear to be as thin. In fact it's 33" deep.

Check out the link here .

You can also check out the official link on Runco's site here .

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I paid too much attention to the original link that called it a plasma wall. Which would have been really cool. The rear projection thing is still cool, but not quite what I thought it was originally. That's what I get for posting before I read through everything.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Who needs it? Nobody who has experienced the unique advantages and theater-like joy of front projection is going to take a second look at this monster. RPTV's are extremely heavy and bulky, have screen glare and very poor viewing angles. At 45K it is a joke. I would not trade my Panasonic front projector and powered screen for this monster even if I could get it for $2000.00! Home cinema it aint!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Pricing aside, a well done rear projection system is a sight to behold. We aren't talking your local big box store RPTV here. And the bulk factor is meaningless in this case. It is a custom installed product. All the (rich) end-user sees is an extremely bright, 95 inch plasma-like image that is bright and watchable even in daytime indoor lighting.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffman /forum/post/15582441

Who needs it? Nobody who has experienced the unique advantages and theater-like joy of front projection is going to take a second look at this monster. RPTV's are extremely heavy and bulky, have screen glare and very poor viewing angles. At 45K it is a joke. I would not trade my Panasonic front projector and powered screen for this monster even if I could get it for $2000.00! Home cinema it aint!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I have to agree. I have both a high-end front projection theater with a 14' wide scope screen. I also installed a 106" Rear projection. The day time viewing ability is awesome. I have a 106" front projection and a 106" rear projection almost side by side. No comparison in picture quality during the day. For sporting events and day time entertainment, people gather around the rear pro much more than in the dark theater.

Here is a link to my build and pics!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1113302

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch /forum/post/15580151

With this and the new Phillips cinemascope TV coming out, I wonder if this is the start of a new trend. Maybe cinemascope projectors are closter than we think. At 50K though, I don't think there will be a large market for this TV. Very cool though.

I disagree. At $50k I will buy them for every room in my house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts