AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting article in the latest WSR . Sam Runco is interviewed by Gary Reber and the subject of CRT vs DLP comes up. I know that Sam is a business man first but he even says that DLP is the largest share of their business but says in a dedicated theater "CRT is still the best device on the market". He also states that"overall it's not my belief but my experience that tells me that CRT is still a better picture all in all".

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
Art,

I read the article, too. I am still somewhat disappointed to give up my Runco CRT.

However, Sam did admit that for 10-12 ft. widescreens, digital is the way to go. I feel some comfort in that as I really have no idea what the picture will look like on my soon-to-be large, 123" wide perforated screen.

By the way, I enjoy WSR the best of all 4 rags i get each month. Great interview of Sam.

Jeff

·
Registered
24,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're right. There isn't a single CRT that can light up that screen. I've been very happy with the stacked system I have and I think it could go out that far as far as light output but convergence errors begin to become a problem. I've been thinking about a stacked pair of 9" CRTs to try and get the best (and perhaps the worst) of both worlds but I don't want to be the first one on my block to see the problems. You may have spoken to Ken Whitcomb about stacked systems and he found out the hard way that the 1101 series can't be stacked side by side due to inadequate range. He maintains an over under set up in Chicago with that unit.( along with a Snell and Wilcox interpolator) There appears to be no experience to draw on out there in the 1200 being stacked. Runco for a long time advertised 980sp and 991sp with a mount to place them precisely side by side.

I hope you get the kinds of things you want from your new HT but be ready for some real jealous folks!

Art

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
Art,

The CRT picture is the best. No question.

Unfortunately, I am really curious to see what I end up with as very few dealers around here display FPTVs. I have seen the new Sharp DLP in Troy and it looked very good but not great. I am taking Dennis Erskine's advice that for my room the JVC D'ILA G150HT is the best option. The first time I see it will probably be in my house!

If you stack a couple of 9" CRTs, you'll too have the masses knockin' at your door to see what 2 of the best display devices can do (me included). Over and under arrangements would seem to overpower the room in terms of 'stuff' around the seating area.

Ken Whitcomb will probably be able to buy a new boat after he spends the weekend setting up and calibrating those two behemoths!

JEff

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
You see a g-90 on an 11 foot wide TORUS with a snell and wilcox and a SDI Theta.

Believe or not, I am not trying to promote anything, but the plain truth. And I nearly have given up on the idea, being that this industry is bought and paid for by audio companies, licensing companies, and their cronies.

When I hear compromises like the ones being discussed here (double stacking and the move to single lens- and mind you the Dila at the Vigatec /Immersive/isco booth looked awesome) , even though I try to contain myself, a feeling of helplesness at not preventing a major disaster overwhelms me.

Sam Runco did want to see the above setup, I may show him...

Believe me I much rather cookie cut my plasma systems to dozens of condominiums down here, wich is what I am concentrating on. I just can't believe that there are no smart videophiles out there.

I have tried to promote the TORUS concept as the ONLY solution for high performance crt projection. There is simply no other way.

Now with so many Industry Gurus and Magazine People reading this stuff, I will throw down a challenge.....

Who is going to be first to come down here and see with their own two eyes that Flat screens, are the most DUMB idea in the world. I have given up on trying being the savior, is everyone in the forum told what to do by the Magazines? Can't anyone think for themselves?

I did my due diligence...

·
Registered
24,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cineramax,

I hope you are going to be all right! I'm glad to see you're posting again it started to get boring around here.

Jeff,

I don't think I'm going to be going to the next step just yet but if I were you ,knowing what you now know, I'd like to see if I could get a demo from someone. See if the dealer could get you into see an install at another home. (And take along some software to test it out if possible) . I saw a single chip DLP (Runco ) at a local dealer and I had a few discs to demo myself. It looked great and then I put in Lost in Space. That was the end ,so much space at almost absolute black on my CRT and muddy grey on the DLP. This may not be fair but that is a big chunk of change to buy a pig in a poke. Ken Whitcomb offered to get me in to see a 9" stack set up but he said that I would then never want to go back!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.