AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building our next home and will have a dedicated theater. I currently have a Runco 5800 DTV(RPTV), but will be putting it in the kids game room. Have been looking at the Runco CL-700 and the Marantz VP12-S3. Which is better? I would be more prone to the Runco since I have the 5800 and haven't had any trouble with it. Great picture.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Tell us more about the room and your objectives. Throw distance, light control, intended screen, video sources, movies, games, HDTV, etc. You get the idea. You'll get better advice if you can give more info.

Cheers!

-P

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The room size is 15' x 21' x 9'. I am doing the double wall construction. Not sure on the screen. Don't know if I want a fixed or drop down. The throw distance can be whatever I make it. My current equipment consists of:

Krell HTS2

Krell 280 CD

Denon DVD 3000 (have the new 2900 being shipped now)

Denon POA 8200 and 8300

Dish network DSS (getting the new HD in the new house)

Martin Logan arius i front and rear

Martin Logan Cinema Center

Velodyne HGS18

Transparent cables to everything

Runco 5800 DTV

I will have total lighting control. There are no windows. So there will be no natural light entering the room. My preference would be to mount the projector at the back of the room in a soffit. Not sure what screen size works the best at that distance. Open for any suggestions.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Last summer I was at a dealer who was doing a shoot-out with the Marantz VP12s2 and the 1000ci Runco unit. The marantz unit was out of the box and I have no idea if it had been tweaked. The only major difference that We could see was that the Runco had a slightly better edge definition, sharper. Colors and black levels we to close to tell. The Runco might have had a sharper picture over-all but we did see a little more video noise. At the end IMO, the Runco wouldn't be worth the extra $5,000.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
FWIW, I recently compared my projector, a Sony HS20, to a couple of different Runco projectors. The comparison happened almost accidentally, as I had taken my projector over to check it out on a specific screen. Nonetheless, it did happen and I posted my opinion here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=348356

I was truly amazed at how little difference there was between an $18K DLP and a $3K LCD. Obviously, based on your list of audio components, you are "into" the high end and are willing to pay for it. That's fine, but I thought I would present an alternative POV.

I'm certain you would fully enjoy either of the pj's you mention. I'm only pointing out that there may be better "values" to be had in the world of front projectors. Good luck, no matter what you decide on.

Craig

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm using a Runco 710LT mounted at 18 feet from an 110 inch diagonal (96 X 54 inch) 1.20 gain white screen. Viewing distance is at 16 feet. My room size is within a foot of the same size as yours. The setup produces some incredible pictures--I couldn't be happier.

The dedicated HT room has total light control but I find the image bright and sharp enough even with the positive gain white screen to watch with some room lighting. For serious movie wathcing, we reduce room lighting to a couple of wall sconces.

If you have further questions on my experience on the Runco I'd be happy to answer them if I can.

·
Registered
484 Posts
vinnier what other projectors did you consider and what were the pluses of the runco over them. I am looking at the sharp 12k, marantz s3, dwin t3+, jvc hx1 and runco 710.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I spent about 3 months traveling all over Texas looking at projectors on display in various dealers. Must have looked at 8 different models including the Runco 1000ci, Sharp 10000, Marantz S2, two different Sonys, Yamaha, a JVC DILA, and others. Ultimately I reduced it to the Runco 710 and the Yamaha 1000. Thought the Runco was a little brighter and liked the picture better overall.

If you like the Runco and can live with a short throw lens, consider the BenQ 8700. It is a near twin of the 710 at less money. However, if you need the long throw lens, as I did, the Runco has one and the BenQ doesn't.

By the way, if you choose the Runco, don't be afraid to bargain with the dealer. Mine matched the best price I could find on the Internet including the 8.25% local sales tax. Brought the price down a bunch.

Don't be too influenced by me or anyone else who posts to this forum. Just about everyone will recommend with great vigor whatever projector/technology he bought himself, whether he did any real research or not. Best plan is to go look at them yourself. The differences between models/brands is very slight and most will give you excellent results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great input. I would love to see a side by side comparison, but I don't think that will happen. The place where I buy my gear is strictly a Runco dealer. Of course they feel they have a superior product over all others. I have seen some of the high end stuff and it is definitely awesome. Way out of my price range though. I would like to stay under $15000. I think the pj's I'm looking at will accomadate that. Again thanks and I'll let you know which way I go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.