AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this runco pl-50hdx is from aprox 2001 and has worked great since i hung it then. turned it on today (from the vivix controller) and heard a pop and it would not come on. the led on the monitor is flashing red 4 times fast. cannot find any database for error messages so not sure what this means. i did see a thread on this forum that talked about runco having issues with power supplies and possibly assisting with repair, if that is in fact the problem. trying to get a hold of someone there is very difficult! not sure if the sale to planar has impacted their service or this issue specificly...

anyone here have an idea what may be going on?

any runco guys here????

·
Registered
870 Posts
Once you find out the problem, you may be faced with buying a new plasma over fixing the old one...plus getting a pretty decent upgrade from the 2001 technology.

A pop is power related usually. The panel is likely fine, but a power supply, or a board replacement, plus to do any work means opening it up. Hope it goes well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply simple math. i do realize that may be an issue. almost certain i will keep this one. just have not seen a plasma that can do what it does...even with all the advancement in technology. i am just hoping the cost will not be prohibitive...

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
The cost is going to be the problem here, at which point you do have to ask your self for what its worth repairing it can you get bettter from an 08/09 technology for less or same? the answer would be new plasma.

contact runco then take it from there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after doing allot of reading i believe it is the power supply and likely the same one pioneer has been replacing for free in their tv's for years. have not been able to get a hold of runco but i doubt they will be as gracious as pioneer...by gracious i mean they were ordered by class action...

i suppose i will try to get one myself and change it rather than scrap such a great monitor. i am guessing a few hundred dollars for the part.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update...

so this is what happened as i moved through the process of getting my blown power supply replaced on my runco pl50-hdx...

first of all, thanks to all who have written on this forum as it helped me diagnose the issue and understand it's origin. once this occurred, and i understood the pioneer part runco used was faulty, i contacted runco and after several discussions they did agree to pay for the replacement supply and eventually the labor to install. the catch was i had to take it myself to the shop they found. now i had already made arrangements with another shop but they would only cover the cheaper one they located.

now this shop, mercury keller in columbus, knew little about the unit and needed my help to even get it turned on. at one point the tech put the whole thing back together forgetting to put two of the mounting screws back on the power supply!

eventually i got it home and realized they had broken the glass in two places on the bottom right corner as well as scratching the frame. when i called, they blamed me and said i did it while bringing it home. needless to say, you all know that you do not break the glass on a tv you paid five figures for.

so thats how it ends...the tv does work but is now damaged. the shop that broke it lied and ignored the issue. runco feels like they did their part by fixing the faulty supply and takes no responsibility for making me go to the shop that broke my glass...

this tv is cursed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.